14 November 2011
6,000 students, 6 weeks, 1 super-sized festival
Catch a glimpse of Melbourne’s brightest talents during one of the southern hemisphere’s biggest creative festivals, the RMIT University 2011 Art and Design Exhibitions.
Once Upon a Spacetime, developed by team Digitalis, featured in GAME/PLAY at the National Gallery of Victoria and is on display as part of the 2011 Games Graduate Show.
Design by Amelia Agosta, Bachelor of Design (Fashion). Photo: Anthea O’Brien.
- Iconic building recognised for architectural excellence 03/12/2013
- RMIT artists dominate NGV’s "Melbourne Now" 28/11/2013
- Research studies hot water systems’ enviro impact 22/11/2013
- Urban futures imagined through student eyes 21/11/2013
- RMIT buildings gain national recognition 15/11/2013
- Forum puts focus on healthcare for the ageing 11/11/2013
Over six weeks, the imagination and skill of more than 6,000 students is on show in about 30 exhibitions held in galleries and venues across the inner-city.
This year, thousands of visitors who “check in” to the exhibitions via Facebook have the chance to win a ride over Melbourne in the RMIT hot air balloon.
One of the city’s top cultural showcases, the RMIT Art and Design Exhibitions are the ultimate guide to up-and-coming talent in creative media, fashion, industrial design, landscape and architectural design, photography, and the visual and fine arts.
One-night-only events coming soon include:
- Animation and Interactive Media – Graduate screening (15 November, 6.30pm-8pm, Australian Centre for the Moving Image, Federation Square)
- Master of Creative Media – Film and Television Graduate Portfolio Screening (17 November, 6.30pm-8.30pm, Cinema Nova, 380 Lygon Street, Carlton)
- out-side/in-side/out – Furniture Design student exhibition (17 November, Eco Outdoor, 422 Burnley Street, Richmond)
- Fashion and Textiles – Graduate Exhibition (23 November, 9am-3pm, Octagonal Room, Moonee Valley Racing Club)
Design shows on this week include:
- game design, digital art and games graphics programming (RMIT Games Graduate Show 2011, 17-20 November, RMIT Building 9, Level 1, Bowen Street, Melbourne)
- fashion design (Cloth, now to 20 November, GPO Melbourne, Level 1, Bourke Street, Melbourne)
- interior design (INDEX, now to 17 November, 79 Ireland Street, West Melbourne)
- architecture and landscape architecture (now to 18 November, Levels 11-12, RMIT Building 8, 330 Swanston Street)
- Master of Architecture (14-17 November, RMIT Building 45, 33 Lygon Street, Carlton)
Art and craft exhibitions on now and opening soon include:
- fine art photography (New Formalities, now to 18 November, School of Art Gallery, RMIT Building 2, 330 Swanston Street)
- gold and silversmithing (Work Hardened, 16-26 November, Level 4, Spill Art Space, 175 Flinders Lane, Melbourne)
- ceramics (SLIP BELOW, 23 November-9 December, Level 1, RMIT Building 4, Bowen Street, Melbourne)
Wild Order, (Glazed Porcelain, 480mm x 480mm x 110mm) by Georgia Hutchison, Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design).
Muscovy Wanderer by Rachel Black, Bachelor of Arts (Textile Design). Photo: Mardiana Sani.