27 July 2012
Students and alumni going for gold
Students and alumni of RMIT University are prominently represented at the London Olympics, with several enjoying strong prospects for gold.
Current students include:
- Lizzy Patrick, who is cox in the Women's Eight rowing (Masters in Osteopathy)
- Top-rated Australian female badminton player Vicky Na (Bachelor of Design (Games))
- Jared Tallent, 20km and 50km walk, from the Bachelor of Business (Finance Planning)
A strong contingent of alumni and former students includes:
- Russell Mark, shooting (Associate Diploma of Valuations)
- Farzed Tarash, wrestling (Bachelor of Applied Science, Biomedical Science)
- James Marburg, rowing (Bachelor of Arts, Public Relations)
- Steve Hooker, pole vault (who studied Property)
- Lisa Weightman, marathon (Bachelor of Business (Business Information Systems))
Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor Margaret Gardner AO, praised the strong RMIT contingent at this year's Games.
"It's very pleasing to see our current and former students representing their nation with such distinction, and we are all looking forward to seeing their performance," she said.
"RMIT is proud to see members of our University community able to combine their academic and intellectual development with a commitment to excellence in sporting endeavour.
"We recognise that this is such a difficult and demanding thing to do, and makes us all the more proud of their efforts.
"On behalf of everyone at RMIT, I wish them well. We'll be cheering them on in London."
RMIT students and alumni are aiming for glory in the London Games. Image © iStockphoto.
- Footy stars change the score for reconciliation 25/11/2013
- Mountain biking student beats the world's best 23/09/2013
- RMIT a player in $6m sports tech precinct 11/09/2013
- Redbacks triumph at uni games 26/07/2013
- World Uni Games success for RMIT athletes 22/07/2013
- Paralympians offer winning strategies for student teachers 05/06/2013