Textile testing services at RMIT
Simulated weathering testing
The most advanced xenon weathering test instrument in the market
Stretch, growth and recovery
Check the durability properties of your garments
Improve clothing comfort
Test your garments for moisture management properties
Cutting-edge sustainability lab
Access our advanced facilities, expert staff, advice and support
As a NATA accredited, independent laboratory, RMIT Textile Testing Services provides professional, independent and certified assessment of textiles.
Textile Testing Services is part of the Textile and Design Specialist Centre, offering a unique opportunity to draw on expertise of staff within the school of Fashion and Textiles.
In addition to the core range of textile tests, our recently refurbished, state-of-the-art laboratories and new equipment have enhanced the range of testing available, particularly in the field of moisture management and comfort.
Linked closely with the Advanced Textile Materials Laboratory, we are available to work with you on minor research projects in the fields of:
- accelerated weathering and UV exposure
- fabric comfort (moisture and heat management)
- analytical assessment of coatings and other applied chemicals
- or, contact us to discuss your research proposal
Price lists for available tests
1. Fully complete and sign the appropriate request form (in the tab below) for your product end use.
2. Fill in sample description details as fully as possible. This information will be included in your test report for sample identification.
3. Please note that care instructions are essential when requesting dimensional stability or colourfastness testing.
4. If you are unsure about the testing you require, refer to our “current fee list” (in the tab above) or contact us for advice. Incomplete request forms may result in delay of test results.
5. Unless your company has established a credit account, payment will be required prior to release of test results. On receipt of test items, a tax invoice with payment details will be issued. RMIT University accepts payment in the form of cheque, Visa, Mastercard or EFT. All payments must be in Australian Dollars.
6. Send your sample and test request form to:
RMIT Textile Testing Services
Building 512, Room 14
25 Dawson Street
BRUNSWICK VIC 3056
Textile testing helps designers improve clothing comfort
RMIT University’s Textiles Testing Services offers moisture management testing that can assist designers and manufacturers improve the comfort of today’s clothing.
Moisture management is the transport of liquid away from the body in fabrics and textiles.
Ms Trudie Orchard, Manager of RMIT’s Textile Testing Services, and her team perform tests on fabrics to compare their moisture management properties. Ms Orchard said the moisture management properties in garments can influence human perception of moisture sensations in the clothing we wear.
“To improve and increase the comfort of today's clothing, especially in sportswear, it is important for designers and technologists to understand the liquid moisture management properties of selected fabrics.” Ms Orchard said.
“Moisture management fabrics have properties that allow the rapid movement of perspiration from the inside surface to the outside surface, via openings between fibres or yarns, then rapidly spread moisture across the outside surface, providing evaporation and greater comfort to the wearer.”
Test results can greatly assists garment technologists and major fashion marketers when developing clothing.
RMIT’s Textiles Testing Service focuses on fabric properties and performance testing. The range of products tested includes apparel, children’s nightwear, homewares, floor coverings and other related textile products.
RMIT Textile Testing Services is an accredited textile testing and consulting facility based in Melbourne. For more information visit the RMIT website or phone: +61 3 9925 9120
A full range of testing equipment is available to you
To book diagnostic testing and/or inquire about product research utilising RMIT's world-class testing equipment please contact:
+(61 3) 9925 9407
NB: Price on application for all Industry testing, diagnostic services and research projects
With over 30 years’ experience Trudie’s knowledge incorporates Children’s nightwear, apparel, home textiles (bed linen, upholstery and curtains) and carpets. Trudie manages the commercial testing laboratory as well as overseeing the equipment management of the Advanced Textile Materials laboratory.
Fiona is your main point of contact for testing status and priority testing. In addition to over 25 years’ experience in textile testing, her expertise now also includes the equipment in the Advanced Textile Materials laboratory and she is happy to discuss your research projects.
Kerry has a strong background in apparel testing and is internally focused on testing and calibrations
As a NATA test report signatory, Aparna approves test reports and is available to assist with interpretation of test results..
Kristine is our non-routine testing specialist with a strong background in apparel and automotive testing. Kristine is hands-on with our internal calibrations and can work with Trudie and Fiona to develop your unique testing parameters
- ACCC - (The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission)
- Standards Association Australia - (Australian, ISO and IEC Standards)
- ARPANSA - (The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency)
- Short courses - School of Fashion and Textiles short courses and folio preparation programs
- Textile and Design Specialist Centre Develops and deliver innovative training and commercial services to the Textile, Clothing and, Fashion (TCF) Industry
- Research clusters - Several specific research fields within the School of Fashion and Textiles