Dr Sherman CP Cheung
Aerosp Mech & Manuf Eng
+61 3 9925 6116
Science, Engineering & Health
Using Computational Fluid Dynamics technique to investigate complex fluid flow structure, especially turbulent reacting flows in fires and gas bubble coalescence and breakage in two-phase flows. Current research has centred on unsteady turbulence modelling using large eddy simulation approach and population balance modelling using discrete class methods and statistic method of moments.
BEng(Hons), PhD CityUHK
- 2010-present: Senior Lecturer, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2008-10: Australian Postdoctoral Fellow (Industry), School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2006-08: Research Fellow, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2005-05: Visiting Research Fellow, School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, The University of New South Wales
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Combustion and Fire Modeling
- Computational Modeling of Multiphase Flows
- Biomedical Engineering: Simulation of Blood Flow in Arteries
- Consulting experience in building and environment simulations in complex modern structures; fire safety assessment using performance-based fire engineering approach
Involved research projects
- Research in Business (RiB): Improving the efficiency of a forward curved blower system
- ARC Linkage Project LP0882413: Development of an Integrated Platform for Performance-Based Safety Assessment
- ARC Discovery Project DP0877734: Multi-group Stochastic Modelling of Population Balance for Gas-Liquid Flow
- AutoCRC Scholarship for Postgraduate Research: Developing Numerical Model for Flow-Induced Vibration Excitation Mechanisms towards Virtual Laboratory Simulation
- ARC Special Research Initiatives SR0563610: Developing an E-Platform for Application of Clinical Management in the Human Respiratory and Vascular System
- S.C.P. Cheung, G.H. Yeoh and J.Y. Tu (2009) A review of population balance modelling for multiphase flows: Approaches, applications and future aspects, IN: “Fluid Mechanics and Pipe Flow: Turbulence, Simulation and Dynamics”, D. Matos & C. Valerio (Eds), Nova Science Publishers, Inc., USA (in press).
- S.C.P. Cheung, G.H. Yeoh and J.Y. Tu (2009) Numerical Modelling of Building Fires with Turbulent, Combustion, Soot and Radiation Effects, IN: “Building and Environment”, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., USA (Accepted for publication).
- F.S. Qi, G.H. Yeoh, S.C.P. Cheung, J.Y. Tu, E. Krepper and D. Lucas (2012) Classification of bubbles in vertical gas-liquid flow: Part 1 – An analysis of experimental data, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, (in press).
- S.C.P. Cheung, G.H. Yeoh, F.S. Qi and J.Y. Tu (2012) Classification of bubbles in vertical gas-liquid flow: Part 2 – A model evaluation, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, (In press).
- M. Xiang, S.C.P. Cheung, G.H. Yeoh, W.H. Zhang and J.Y. Tu, (2011) On the Numerical Study of Bubbly Flow Created by Ventilated Cavity in Vertical Pipe, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 37(5), 756-768.
- X.Y. Duan, S.C.P. Cheung, G.H. Yeoh, J.Y. Tu, E. Krepper and D. Lucas (2011) Gas-Liquid Flows in Medium and Large Vertical Pipes, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 66, 872-883.
- S.C.P. Cheung, K.K.L. Wong, G.H. Yeoh, W. Yang, J.Y. Tu, R. Beare and T. Phan (2010) Experimental and numerical study on the haemodynamic characteristics of an in vivo acquired stenosed carotid bifurcation geometry, AustralasianPhysical and Engineering Science in Medicine, Vol. 33, 319-328.
- K.K.L. Wong, S.C.P. Cheung, W. Yang, and J.Y. Tu (2010) Numerical simulation and experimental validation of swirling flow in spiral vortex ventricular assist device, International Journal of Artificial Organ, 33(12), 856-867
- S.C.P. Cheung and G.H. Yeoh (2009) A Fully-coupled Simulation of Vortical Structures in a Large-scale Buoyant Pool Fire, International Journal of Thermal Science, 48, 2187-2202.
- S.C.P. Cheung, G.H. Yeoh and J.Y. Tu (2008) Hydrodynamics Modelling of Bubbly Flows using Population Balance Approach, AIChE Journal, 54, 1689-1710.
- G.H. Yeoh, S.C.P. Cheung, J.Y. Tu and M.K.M. Ho (2008) Fundamental Consideration of Wall Heat Partition of Vertical Subcooled Boiling Flows, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 51, 3840-3853.
- S.C.P. Cheung, G.H. Yeoh, A.L.K. Cheung and R.K.K. Yuen (2007) Flickering Behaviour of Turbulent Buoyant Fires using Large-Eddy Simulation, Numerical Heat Transfer – Part A, 52, 679-712.
- S.C.P. Cheung, S. Ding, J.Y. Tu, Y. Ye, D. Reutens and R. Beare (2007) Reconstruction of Blood Flow in a Stenosed and Normal Carotid Bifurcation, Journal of Biomechanics, 40(S2), S225.
- S.C.P. Cheung, J.Y. Tu, T. Yagi, W. Yang and M. Umezu (2007) Numerical and Experimental Study on the Vortex Flow Structure inside a Spiral Vortex Ventricular Assist Device, Journal of Biomechanics, 40(S2), S478.
- S.C.P. Cheung, G.H. Yeoh and J.Y. Tu (2007) On the Numerical Study of Isothermal Vertical Bubbly Flow using Two Population Balance Approaches, Chemical Engineering Science, 62, 4659-4674.
- S.C.P. Cheung, G.H. Yeoh and J.Y. Tu (2007) On the modelling of population balance in isothermal vertical bubbly flows – average bubble number density approach, Chemical Engineering and Processing, 46, 742-756.
- S.C.P. Cheung, S.M. Lo, G.H. Yeoh, and R.K.K. Yuen (2006) The Influence of Gaps of Fire Resisting Doors on the Smoke Spread in a Building Fire, Fire Safety Journal, 41, 539-546.
- S.C.P. Cheung, R.K.K. Yuen, G.H. Yeoh, S.M. Lo (2005) Sensitivity Study on Three Different SN Order Schemes of the Discrete Ordinates Method for Two-Compartment Enclosure Fire, Fire Safety Journal, 40, 736-744.
- S.C.P. Cheung, R.K.K. Yuen, G.H. Yeoh and G.W.Y. Cheng (2004) Contribution of soot particles on global radiative heat transfer in a two-compartment fire, Fire Safety Journal, 39, 412-428.
Registered research supervisor
Accomplishments / achievements
- 2012: ATN-DAAD (Australian Technology Network of university - German Academic Exchange Service): Joint Research Co-operation Scheme (ATN-DAAD)
- 2009: Victoria Fellowship (Victorian Government, Australia)
- 2008-11: Australian Post-Doctoral Fellowship – Industry (Australia Research Council)
- 2007-08: RMIT University Emerging Researcher Grant (RMIT University)
- 2003-04: Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship Renewal (Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fund Council)
- 2002-03: Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship (Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fund Council)
See also: Computational Fluid Dynamics Laboratory