Dr Mark Gregory
Electrical and Computer Eng
+(61 3) 9925 3243
Science, Engineering & Health
- PhD, 2008, RMIT
- MEng, 1992, RMIT
- BEng (Elec)(Hons), 1984, UNSW
- 2013 Australian Defence Medal
- 2012 RMIT Media Star of the Year (Public Policy Commentator)
- 2011 RMIT Media Star of the Year
- 2009 RMIT Rising Media Star of the Year
- 2009 Australian Learning and Teaching Council Citation
- 2009 College Students' Choice Teaching Award
- 2008 College Students' Choice Teaching Award
- 1979 Duke of Edinburgh Award (Silver)
Affiliations / professional memberships
- 2010-2012 Engineers Australia Victorian Division Committee member
- Fellow Institute of Engineers, Australia
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Inc.
Research, Scholarship and Consulting
Associate Editor of the Australasian Journal of Engineering Education
Research and consulting focus areas
- Network Engineering
- Internet security and spam
- Software development
- Project Management
- Life Cycle Costing
- Technical Risk Management
Dr Mark Gregory is available for consulting within Australia or overseas.
Recent research projects
- 2009 Research project - 2Up Holdings - Constrained Network Optimisation
- 2007-2009 Chair of the Australian Electronic Numbering (ENUM) Discussion Group Infrastructure ENUM Working Group - in conjunction with the Australian Communications and Media Authority
- 2008 Regional and Remote Internet Quality of Service review - ENEX Testlab. For the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy
PhD and MEng research opportunities
PhD and MEng research opportunities are available, especially for candidates that have achieved an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree GPA of at least 3.5 out of 4. Example topics available in priority order are:
- Passive Optical Networks. PhD candidates are sought for research into optimal techniques for traffic queuing, priority and scheduling over next generation passive optical networks. Advances in the development of hybrid WDM/TDM optical access networks provide the basis for investigating traffic flows across optical access networks operating at 100Gbps. Join a research team that is focusing on optimal framing and link layer techniques for multi-wavelength optical transmission.
- Mobile. PhD candidates are sought for research into next generation mobile cellular and wireless technologies including IMT-Advanced. The focus of the research is identifying optimal traffic flows, routing, security and authentication schemes. Hybrid fibre wireless systems are a current focus of research activity.
- Network Design, Management and Operations. The development of new queuing, routing, planning and design approaches for the next generation optical and wireless networks. The research includes the opportunity to participate in the development of a new multi-user web based network design and planning tool.
- Improving project management decision making through the integration of technical risk management models into project management systems. Candidate should have knowledge of project management principles and risk concepts.
- Online Tools for Engineering Education. MEng candidates are sought for research into the new approaches for engineering education utilising broadband networks and online tools.
Recently supervised graduates
- Lili Gu - Improved Internet Protocol Multimedia Subsystem Authentication for Long-Term Evolution
- Md. Afzal Hossan - Automatic Speaker Recognition Dynamic Feature Identification and Classification using Distributed Discrete Cosine Transform Based Mel Frequency Cepstral Coefficients and Fuzzy Vector Quantization
- Abu Sayed Chowdhury – Next Generation Mobile Wireless Hybrid Network Interworking Architecture
- Ananda Tapasvi Jammulamadaka – Infrastructure Electronic Numbering Implementation in Australia
- Jianguo Cao – An E-Model Implementation for VoIP QoS across a Hybrid UMTS Network
- Shengbin Gao – VoIP Weathermap, A VoIP QOS Collection Analysis and Dissemination System
- Coalition takes NBN back to the drawing board, 10 April 2013
- NBN Co goes back to the drawing board on pricing plan, 5 April 2013
- Explainer: what is a virtual private network (VPN)?, 18 March 2013
- The Army should rescue the NBN, 25 February 2013
- Free Wi-Fi for everyone everywhere (maybe), 14 February 2013
- Top ten tech predictions for 2013, 7 January 2013
- Qantas drops in-flight WiFi - the NBN to the rescue?, 12 December 2012
- Unlimited government and police control of the internet? There’s no filter for that, 21 November 2012
- Telstra's revised cyber-safety service could (and should) be better, 9 November 2012
- Is remote and rural Australia being dudded by the NBN?, 5 November 2012
- Explainer: what are unfunded liabilities?, 22 October 2012
- Can Turnbull deliver his NBN? Have you say, 16 April 2013
- Beating Google at its own tax game, 12 April 2013
- NBN Co gets survivability right, 26 March 2013
- The cyber war rulebook, 21 March 2013
- Picking the NBN Australia wants, 4 March 2013
- Turnbull's HFC folly, 18 February 2013
- Cyber-bullying warning in the Steubenville tragedy, 12 February 2013
- Asking the tough NBN questions, 11 February 2013
- Telstra's perilous P2P throttle plans, 7 February 2013
- Google hints at the NBN's future, 1 February 2013
For a complete list of Mark's published articles see his personal website.
- Ahmed, Khandakar, Altaf Hussain and Mark A. Gregory. "An Efficient, Robust, and Secure SSO Architecture for Cloud Computing Implemented in a Service Oriented Architecture." In Principles, Methodologies, and Service-Oriented Approaches for Cloud Computing, ed. Xiaoyu Yang and Lu Liu, pp. 259-282, 2013, doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-2854-0.ch011
- Hossan, M. Afzal, Gregory, Mark A., "Speaker recognition utilizing distributed DCT-II based Mel frequency cepstral coefficients and fuzzy vector quantization", Int. J. Speech Technology, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2013, pp. 103-113, doi: 10.1007/s10772-012-9166-0
- Ahmed, Khandakar, Gregory, Mark A., "Wireless Sensor Network Data Centric Storage routing using Castalia," Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC), 2012 Australasian, Brisbane, Australia, pp.1-8, 7-9 Nov. 2012, doi: 10.1109/ATNAC.2012.6398058
- Pradhan, Rakesh Kumar, Gregory, Mark A., "Access network energy efficient dynamic power scaling," Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC), 2012 Australasian, Brisbane, Australia, pp.1-5, 7-9 Nov. 2012, doi: 10.1109/ATNAC.2012.6398068
- Rahman, Farukh Mahmudur, Gregory, Mark A, "IP Address Associated 4-N Intelligent MANET routing algorithm utilising LTE cellular technology," Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC), 2012 Australasian, Brisbane, Australia, pp.1-7, 7-9 Nov. 2012, doi: 10.1109/ATNAC.2012.6398077
- Rakesh Kumar Pradhan, Mark A Gregory, "Priority based Energy Efficient Dynamic Power Scaling", International Journal of Computer Applications 54(12):37-41, September 2012, doi: 10.5120/8620-2484
- Pradhan, Rakesh K; Gregory Mark A; "Priority Queuing and Scheduling Algorithms", International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering, 4th (ICCAE 2012), Jianhong Zhou (ed.), Jan 14-15 2012, Mumbai, India, pp. 365-370
- Pradhan, R.K; Gregory M.A., "Comparison of queuing disciplines for fiber to the home networks", Computer & Information Science (ICCIS), 2012 International Conference on, vol.2, pp.751-754, 12-14 Jun 2012, doi: 10.1109/ICCISci.2012.6297127
- Ahmed, Khandakar; Gregory, Mark A, 2012, "Techniques and Challenges of DataCentric Storage Scheme in Wireless Sensor Network", J. Sens. ActuatorNetw.1, no. 1, pp. 59-85, doi: 10.3390/jsan1010059
- Jayasinghe, Rashini; Gregory, Mark A; , "Incorporating Point of Interconnect within the Australian National Broadband Network," Australasian Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC), 2011 , vol., no., pp.1-5, 9-11 Nov. 2011, doi: 10.1109/ATNAC.2011.6096655
- Rahman, Farukh Mahmudur; Gregory, Mark A; , "4-N intelligent MANET routing algorithm," Australasian Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC), 2011 , vol., no., pp.1-6, 9-11 Nov. 2011, doi: 10.1109/ATNAC.2011.6096664
- Gu, Lili; Gregory, Mark A; "A green and secure authentication for the 4th generation mobile network," Australasian Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC), 2011 , vol., no., pp.1-7, 9-11 Nov. 2011, doi: 10.1109/ATNAC.2011.6096633
- Pradhan R.K., Gregory M.A., ‘Optimization of Telecom Network using Efficient Heuristics’, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Technology and Management (ICTM) 2011, Hyderabad, India, pp. 256-259, 8-9 Jun 2011
- Rahman, F.M., Gregory, M.A., ‘Quadrant Based Intelligent Energy Controlled Multicast Algorithm for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks’, Park Y.J. (ed.), in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT) 2011, Seoul, Korea, pp. 1298-1303, 13-16 Feb. 2011
- Gu, L. and Gregory, M. 2011, ‘Improved One-Pass IP Multimedia Subsystem Authentication for UMTS’, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Networking (ICOIN) 2011, Kim C. Shin Y. (ed.), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 31-36, 26-28 Jan. 2011, doi: 10.1109/ICOIN.2011.5723109
- Ahmed, K., Gregory, M., 2011, Integrating Wireless Sensor Networks withCloud Computing, Seventh International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks (MSN), Beijing, China, 16-18 Dec. 2011, pp. 364-366, doi:10.1109/MSN.2011.86
- Chowdhury, A.S.; Gregory, M.; 'Hybrid next generation mobile system analysis based on Internet applications', Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC), 2010 Australasian, pp.90-95, Oct. 31 2010-Nov. 3 2010, doi: 10.1109/ATNAC.2010.5680263
- Gregory, M. 2010, 'Network engineering for undergraduates', in Proceedings of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education, Anne Gardner and Lesley Jolley (ed.), AAEE, Australia, pp. 1-6 (21st Annual Australasian Association for Engineering Education Conference)
- Hossan, M. Memon, S. and Gregory, M. 2010, 'A novel approach for MFCC feature extraction', in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems, Tadeusz A Wysocki (ed.), IEEE, New York, USA, pp. 1-5 (4th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems)
- Jammulamadaka, A. and Gregory, M. 2010, 'Infrastructure ENUM Implementation in Australia', in Proceedings of IEEE Region 10 Conference 2010, Hiroto Yasuura (ed.), IEEE, New Jersey, USA, pp. 2304-2309 (IEEE Region 10 Conference 2010)
- Mohammed, H. and Gregory, M. 2010, 'Fair, class based, delay jitter controlled packet scheduling scheme managing handoff and buffer occupancy for 4G wireless access systems', in Proceedings of the IEEE Region 10 Conference 2010 (TENCON 2010), Hiroto Yasuura (ed.), IEEE, United States, pp. 862-867 (IEEE Region 10 Conference 2010 (TENCON 2010))
- Mohammed, H. and Gregory, M. 2010, 'An efficient, fair, class based, delay jitter controlled packet scheduling algorithm for 4G broadband wireless access systems', in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems, Wong L., Liang, Y.C. (ed.), IEEE, New York, USA, pp. 326-330 (IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems)
- Hussain Mohammed and Mark Gregory 'Fair, Class Based Packet Scheduling Scheme Considering Handoff Priority to Improve QoS for Broadband Wireless Access Systems,' Proc. Second International Conference Computer and Engineering Applications, 19-21 March, 2010, Bali, Indonesia, vol. 1, pp: 499-504
- Hussain Mohammed and Mark Gregory 'A Fair, Class Based Packet Scheduling Scheme for Broadband Wireless Access Systems to Provide High Quality of Service,' Proc. Second International Conference Computer and Engineering Applications, 19-21 March, 2010, Bali, Indonesia, vol. 2, pp: 542-546
- Mark A. Gregory, Christopher White, "TRManager - Technical Risk Manager", Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Vol. 7, Num. 3, 2009, pp. 80-85
- Chowdhury, A.S., Gregory, M., "Performance evaluation of heterogeneous network for next generation mobile", 12th International Conference on Computers and Information Technology (ICCIT 2009), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 21-23 Dec. 2009, pp. 100–104, doi: 10.1109/ICCIT.2009.5407157
- C. Jianguo and M. Gregory, "Performance Evaluation of VoIP Services using Different CODECs over a UMTS Network," in 2008 Australasian Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC2008), 2008, pp. 67-71.
- H. Agrawal, A. Jennings, M. Gregory, and D. Channa, "Robust routing," in IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Computer and Information Science, USA, 2008, pp. 695-700.
- A. Jennings, M. Gregory, and H. Agrawal, "Robust traffic engineering," in 2nd IEEE Symposium on Advanced Networks and Telecommunication Systems, Mumbai, India, 2008.
- M. Gregory and C. White, "TRManager - Technical Risk Manager", in Proceedings of the 12th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Orlando, 2008, pp. 78-83.
- Agrawal, H. Grah, M. and Gregory, M. 2007, 'Optimization of QoS routing', in Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Science (ICIS 2007), IEEE, USA, pp. 598-603, doi:10.1109/ICIS.2007.144
- Gregory, M. (2007). 'Fostering Network Engineering' Partnerships for World Graduates Conference, Partnerships for World Graduates Conference.
- Gregory, M. 2007, "Addressing technical risk management : a survey of project managers", in Proccedings of PMOZ, Project Management Australia Conference, Conrad Jupiters Casino, Gold Coast, Queensland, 28-31 August 2007, pp.
- Liao, L.; Gregory, M.A., "Algorithms for speech classification", Signal Processing and Its Applications, 1999. ISSPA '99. Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on , vol.2, no., pp.623-627 vol.2, 1999, doi 10.1109/ISSPA.1999.815750