Student Experience Advisory Committee
This is an advisory committee reporting to the Vice-Chancellor through the Dean of Students.
Terms of Reference
- The Committee provides advice to the Dean of Students to inform the development, implementation and review of strategies, policies, plans and developments that support the overall student experience at RMIT including priorities from the use of Student Services and Amenities fee revenue.
- The Committee provides advice to the Dean of Students to inform management strategies to improve the student experience in response to issues of student satisfaction, including those identified in feedback from students and issues influencing student progress and retention.
- The Committee, where appropriate, acts as a reference group for major initiatives affecting the student experience including the review and development of student surveys, campus planning, transition principles and student life.
- The Committee accepts items within its scope from Academic Board and its committees, Colleges and portfolios, Student Staff Consultative Committees, RMIT Student Union, RMIT Link and the Vice-Chancellor.
- Members elected in 2012 will have a one-year term.
- The election process will be reviewed annually.
- The Dean of Students reports each quarter to the Vice-Chancellor regarding the business of the Committee.
- The business of the Committee will be reported via a web page set up for the purpose of communication regarding the student experience to students and University community.
- Matters of significant interest to students and progress reports on problem resolution will be communicated to students through myRMIT.
The membership will consist of:
- Dean of Students (Chair of the Committee)
- Academic Registrar, or nominee
- Director Student Services Group, or nominee (Deputy Chair)
- University Librarian, or nominee
- Senior Manager RMIT LINK
- President, Student Union
- International Students Officer, Student Union
- students elected from each level of study as follows:
- 4 students drawn from TAFE including Associate Degree students
- 4 undergraduate students (includes honours year)
- 2 postgraduate course work students
- 2 Higher Degree by research students
The Chair will have the power to co-opt.
Leaders of business units whose activities impact on the student experience will be invited to contribute to the Committee as appropriate.
Students will be elected to the Committee by their constituency early in semesters 1 and 2 (standard HE semesters) for a 12 month term. Individual student membership can be renewed for up to a maximum of two years. There will be a process to fill casual vacancies.
The Committee will be supported by an Officer of the Dean of Students Office.
Frequency of Meetings
The committee will meet a minimum four times each year.
Quorum will be half of the number of members plus one member.
Approved by Vice-Chancellor on 2 April 2012.