Assoc Professor Vipul Bansal
+61 3 9925 2121
Science, Engineering & Health
Current research activities
- Biological and biomimetic synthesis of functional nanomaterials
- Ionic liquids mediated synthesis and self-assembly of functional nano(bio)materials
- Galvanic replacement reactions for synthesis of functional nanomaterials
- Structure-function relationship of nanomaterials and composites
- Tailored synthesis of nanostructured surfaces and colloids for applications in:
- Biological imaging (MRI, PET, CT and NIR imaging)
- Controlled drug delivery (Polymer and protein nanocapsules)
- Sensing (SERS and QCM sensors for chemical and biological species such as environmental pollutants, infectious diseases including malaria, and dairy, food and beverages)
- Nano-genomic and nano-proteomic approaches to evaluate nanomaterial cytotoxicity
- Antimicrobial applications of nanomaterials
- Catalysis (Bio-catalysis and electrocatalysis)
- Flexible electronics
- Ph.D., Nano-biotechnology, National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune, India, (2007)
- M.Sc. Res., Biotechnology, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), Coimbatore, India, (2003)
- B.Sc. Hons., Agricultural Sciences, Allahabad Agricultural Institute Deemed University (AAIDU), India, (2001)
- Group Leader, RMIT NanoBiotechnology Research Laboratory (NBRL)
- Associate Professor of Materials Chemistry and Nanobiotechnology at School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Australia
- Steering Committee Member of the Nanotechnology Research Advisory Group of the Australian Technology Network (ATN) / International Strategic Technology Alliance (ISTA) i.e. ATN NanoNetwork
- Honorary Fellow, Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, The University of Melbourne
- Core member, RMIT Platform Technology Research Institute (PTRI) and Health Innovation Research Institute (HIRI)
- 2013–Present: Associate Professor, School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Australia
- 2010–2012: Senior Lecture, School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Australia
- 2008–2010: Lecturer, School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Australia
- 2007: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, The University of Melbourne, Australia
- 2006–2007: ARC International Linkage Visiting Research Fellow, School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Australia
- 2009–2012: Australian Research Council (ARC) APD Fellowship (RMIT University, Australia)
- 2006–2007: Australian Research Council (ARC) International Linkage Visiting Research Fellowship (RMIT University, Australia)
- 2003–2006: Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Government of India, Research Fellowship (NCL, India)
- 2001–2003: Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India Research Fellow (Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, India)
- 1997–2001: Sahu Jain Trust Merit Fellowship (Allahabad Agricultural Institute Deemed University, India)
Honours / Awards
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) HOPE Fellow, 2013
- Australian Academy of Sciences (AAS) Travel Award to Japan, 2013
- International Association for Colloid and Interface Science (IACIS) Young Investigator Travel Award at IACIS2012 Conference, Sendai, Japan, 2012
- Scopus Young Researcher of the Year Finalist in Physical Sciences Category, 2011
- John A Brodie Medal for best paper award in Chemeca, 2010
- Emerging Researcher Award, School of Applied Sciences, RMIT, 2008
- Keerthi Sangoram Best Research Scholar of the Year Award (India), 2006
- Four best poster awards in international conferences, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010
- University Gold Medal, 2001
- Successful supervision of seven PhD candidates:
- Dr Rajesh Ramanathan, 2012, Towards understanding the influence of physico-chemical environment on biological synthesis of inorganic materials (PhD in Applied Biology and Biotechnology)
- Dr Andrew Pearson, 2012, Advanced nanomaterials synthesis for catalysis applications (PhD in Applied Chemistry)
- Dr Hemant Kumar Daima, 2013, Towards fine-tuning the surface corona of inorganic and organic nanomaterials to control their properties at nano-bio interface (PhD in Applied Biology and Biotechnology)
- Dr Emma Clare Goethals, 2013, Templated synthesis of polymer nanocapsules: the role of template characteristics in the efficiency of drug delivery systems (PhD in Applied Chemistry)
- Dr Jos Laurie Campbell, 2013, Magnetite/ silica core-shell nanoparticles for HER-2 targeted magnetic resonance imaging of breast tumours (PhD in Applied Chemistry)
- Dr Blake Plowman, 2013, The active site behaviour and spontaneous decoration of electrodeposited gold and platinum nanomaterials (PhD in Applied Chemistry – Associate supervision)
- Dr Adam Chrimes, 2013, Nanotechnology enabled microfluidics/ Raman spectroscopy systems for bio applications (PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering – Associate supervision)
- Supervised one Masters (Azizah Salim Bawadood 2013) and four Honours students (Andrew Pearson 2007, Vivian Li 2008, Daniel Torrez 2010, Thomas Clayton 2011) in the past
- Currently involved in the supervision and co-supervision of 12 PhD scholars, two Masters by Research scholars and two Undergraduate research interns
- Co-supervised 7 Undergraduate, Honours or Masters Candidates in various disciplines of Nanobiotechnology during PhD
- Course Co-ordinator, Biological Chemistry (BIOL 2260)
- Course Co-ordinator, Biological Chemistry, Open University Australia (SCB210)
- Lecturer, Research Methods (ONPS 2412)
- Lecturer, Nanotechnology Practice (ONPS 2156)
- Lecturer, Nanotechnology Methodology (ONPS 2155)
- Guest Lecturer, Protein Technologies (ONPS 1052)
- Guest Lecturer, Gene Technologies (BIOL 2226)
- Guest Lecturer, Introduction to Nanotechnology (ONPS 2149)
Editorial and peer-assessment
- Academic Editor of PLoS ONE (Public Library of Science)
- Editorial Advisory Board Member of Recent Patents on Nanomedicine (Bentham Science Publishers).
- Editorial Advisory Board Member of Dataset Papers in Materials Science (Hindwai Publishers)
- Reviewer of leading international journals from ACS, RSC, Wiley-VCH, Wiley Elsevier and Nature Publishing Groups
- Grant assessor for National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Australia, Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Canada, American Chemical Society (ACS) Petroleum Fund, and the Romanian Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovative Funding (UEFISCDI)
Current Postgraduate Students
- Vivian Li (Primary PhD supervisor)
- Ahmad E. Kandjani (Primary PhD supervisor)
- Nicholas J. Bruzzese (Primary PhD supervisor)
- Vishal D. Mistry (Primary PhD supervisor)
- Mahsa Mohammadtaheri (Primary PhD supervisor)
- Zahra Homan (Primary PhD supervisor)
- Amanda Abraham (Primary PhD supervisor)
- Catherine Carnovale (Primary PhD supervisor)
- Nafisa Zohora (Primary Masters supervisor)
- Dedrick Song (Primary Masters supervisor)
- Aya C. Taki (Associate PhD supervisor)
- Nathan Annabell (Associate PhD supervisor)
- Pyshar Yi (Associate PhD supervisor)
- Ahmad S. Zoolfakar (Associate PhD supervisor)
Grants and funding
Australian Research Council (ARC) funding
- ARC Linkage Grant. Bansal, Shukla, Bhargava, Hicks, Harrison, Wall, Wood. "Radio-magnetic nanoparticles as bimodal PET/MR imaging contrast agents for dendritic cell tracking" (LP130100437, Industrial partner - Cell Therapies Pty. Ltd., 2013-2016)
- ARC Discovery Grant. Bhargava, O’Mullane, Bansal, Kantam. “Nano-engineered multi-functional materials for catalysis and sensing by an integrated chemical and electrochemical approach” (DP110105125, 2011-2013)
- ARC Discovery Grant. Bansal. "Biosynthesis of multiple-nonmetal codoped titania nanoparticles for visible light photocatalysis" (DP0988099, APD Fellowship, 2009-2012)
- ARC Linkage Grant. Bhargava, Kalantar-zadeh, O’Mullane, Bansal, Ippolito, Rosenberg, Harrison. “A highly sensitive and selective nano-engineered sensor for the online monitoring of mercury vapour emissions from harsh industrial processes” (LP100200859, Industrial partners – Alcoa World Alumina and BHP Billiton, 2010-2013)
- ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Facilities Grant. Separovic, Bhargava, White, Wille, Kasapis, Bansal, Keizer, Gooley. “Advanced characterisation of materials by nuclear magnetic resonance” (LE110100097, 2011)
- ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Facilities Grant. Mulvaney, McCulloch, Mitchell, Holland, Kalantar-zadeh, Bhargava, Bansal, Coloe, Shanks, Holmes, Sader. "Melbourne platform for surface characterisation of structured materials" (LE0989615, 2009)
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Award to participate in the fifth HOPE Meeting with Nobel Laureates (2012-2013)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Grand Challenges Exploration (GCE) Round 5 Grant. Bansal “Nanochip biosensor for infectious diseases and malaria” (2010-2012)
Philanthropic and industrial funding
- Ian Potter Foundation Science and Medicine Grant. Bansal, Shukla. “Real-time quantitative RT-PCR facility for nanobiotechnology research at RMIT University” (2012-2013)
- Ian Potter Foundation Science and Medicine Grant. Bansal. “Advanced multimode absorbance, fluorescence and luminescence plate-reader research facility at RMIT University” (2010-2011)
Other Commonwealth and Victorian Government funding
- Victorian Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (VPRF, Victorian Govt.). Bansal, Campbell, Gambhir (Stanford University USA). “Nanocapsules endowed with imaging contrast alongside targeted and controllable drug release” (2013-2016)
- Australian Academy of Sciences Travel Grant (DIISR). Bansal. Fifth HOPE meeting in Japan (2012-2013)
- AusAID Endeavour Research Award. Bansal, Jaiswal. “Synthesis of hybrid nano-biocomposites of bioactive peptides and functional nanomaterials for anticancer applications” (2012)
- AusAID Endeavour Research Award. Bansal, Bhargava, Soni, Sarkar. “Lactobacillus (milk bacteria) protoplast as a biocompatible sub-micron/nano drug delivery vehicle for controlled drug release in cancer therapy” (2012)
- AusAID Endeavour Research Award. Bansal, Bhargava, Raj OU. “Nano-delivery vehicles for plant pathology applications though agricultural nanobiotechnology” (2011)
- AusAID Endeavour Research Award. Bansal, Bhargava, Soni, Adsul. “Preparation of CNT-catalyst for biofuels production” (2011)
- AusAID Endeavour Research Award. Bansal, Bhargava, Shiv Shankar. “The use of human erythrocyte RBCs as a drug delivery system for controlled drug release for cancer therapy” (2011)
- AusAID Endeavour Research Award. Bansal, Bhargava, Soni, Chhipa. “Fluoride removal by nanofibers isolated from agricultural waste materials” (2011)
- AusAID Endeavour Cheung Kong Research Award. Bansal, Bhargava, Ning, Ming, Campbell. “Novel magnetite core / platinum shell (Pt@Mag) nanoparticles for potential applications in hyperthermal treatment of cancer” (2011)
- AusAID Endeavour Research Award. Bansal, Coloe, Bhargava, Hassan. "Cancer stem cell nanobiotechnology" (2009-2011)
- AusAID Endeavour Research Award. Bansal, Coloe, Bhargava, Parikh. "Biomolecular mechanism and genus-wide validation of silver nanoparticles biosynthesis from Morganella sp." (2009)
- AusAID Endeavour Research. Bansal, Bhargava, Soni. "Enzymatic synthesis of CNTs / hydroxyapatite biocomposite - an artificial bone material from cheap agricultural residues" (2009)
- DEEWR - Australian Leadership Award. Kalantar-zadeh, Hu, Li, Bansal, Bhargava "Nanostructured electrochemical layers" (2009)
Other institutional funding
- RMIT Early Career Researcher International Travel Award. Bansal “245th ACS National Meeting and Exposition, Louisiana, USA” (2012)
- RMIT Emerging Researcher Industry Award. Bansal. “A bioleaching approach towards enhanced dissolution of low grade ores – a case study of copper nanoparticles leaching from copper ores” (2011-2012)
- Australian Technology Network / University of Waterloo Researcher Exchange Program (REP). Bansal, Chen. “Self-assembled therapeutic peptide nanocapsules as multifunctional nano-vehicles for anticancer drug delivery and tumour imaging” (2010)
- RMIT SEH Research and Innovation Seeding Grant. Mitchell, Bansal, Bhargava. “The impact of shear stress history on polymer nanocapsules for drug delivery” (2010)
- RMIT Emerging Researcher Grant. Bansal. "Multifunctional polymer nanocapsules for cancer therapy, imaging and targeting applications" (2009)
- RMIT SEH Research and Innovation Seeding Grant. Lopata, Wright, Bansal. "Size matters – novel chitosan nanoparticles to improve vaccination therapy" (2009)
- Victoria Institute of Chemical Sciences (VICS) Summer Fellowship. Bansal, Bhargava. "Shape-dependent antimicrobial applications of silver nanoparticles" (2009)
- V. Bansal, A. E. Kandjani, M. Griffin, R. Ramanathan. A background correction method for a spectrum of a target sample. Australia Provisional Patent Application No. 2012905622 (21 Dec 2012)
- V. Bansal, F. Caruso, Y. Wang, A. N. Zelikin. Porous silica shell-mediated assembly of macromolecular capsules for drug delivery. PCT International Application, WO/2009/079688 A120090702 (patent granted – 2 July 2009).
- V. Bansal, F. Caruso, Y. Wang, A. N. Zelikin. Porous silica shell-mediated assembly of macromolecular capsules for drug delivery. Provisional Patent No. US 2007-16143P, (2007).
Selected publications (Journals)
For a full list of publications, please visit the RMIT research repository
- H. K. Daima, PR. Selvakannan, A. E. Kandjani, R. Shukla, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Synergistic influence of polyoxometalate surface corona towards enhancing the antibacterial performance of tyrosine-capped Ag nanoparticles. Nanoscale 2013, – in press)
- Z. M. Davoudi, A. E. Kandjani, A. I. Bhatt. I. L. Kyratzis, A. P. O'Mullane, V. Bansal. Hybrid antibacterial fabrics with extremely high aspect ratio Ag/AgTCNQ nanowires. Advanced Functional Materials 2013, (DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201302368 – in press).
- E. C. Goethals, R. Shukla, V. Mistry, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Role of the templating approach in influencing the suitability of polymeric nanocapsules for drug delivery: LbL vs SC/MS. Langmuir 2013, (DOI: 10.1021/la4024103 – in press).
- G. K. Agarwal, A. M. Timperio, L. Zolla, V. Bansal, R. Shukla, R. Rakwal. Biomarker discovery and applications for foods and beverages: Proteomics to nanoproteomics. Journal of Proteomics 2013, (DOI: 10.1016/j.jprot.2013.04.014 – in press).
- R. Ramanathan, M. R. Field, A. P. O’Mullane, P. M. Smooker, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Aqueous phase synthesis of copper nanoparticles: A link between heavy metal resistance and nanoparticle synthesis ability in bacterial systems. Nanoscale. 2013, 5, 2300-2306. (Front Cover)
- E. C. Goethals, A. Elbaz, A. L. Lopata, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Decoupling the effects of the size, wall thickness, and porosity of curcumin-loaded chitosan nanocapsules on their anticancer efficacy: size is the winner. Langmuir. 2013, 29, 658-666. (Front Cover)
- R. Ramanathan, A. E. Kandjani, S. Walia, S. Balendhran, S. K. Bhargava, K. Kalantar-zadeh, V. Bansal. 3-D nanorod arrays of metal-organic KTCNQ semiconductor on textiles for flexible organic electronics. RSC Adv. 2013, 3, 17654-17658.
- A. Pearson, S. Bhosale, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Combining the UV-switchability of Keggin ions with a galvanic replacement process to fabricate TiO2-polyoxometalate-bimetal nanocomposites for improved SERS and solar light photocatalysis. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces. 2013, 5, 7007-7013.
- H. Nili, A. E. Kandjani, J. D. Plessis, V. Bansal, K. Kalantar-zadeh, S. Sriram, M. Bhaskaran. Alkali ratio control for lead-free piezoelectric thin films utilizing elemental diffusivities in RF plasma. CrystEngComm 2013, 15, 7222-7229.
- PR. Selvakannan, R. Ramanathan, B. J. Plowman, Y. M. Sabri, H. K. Daima, A. P. O'Mullane, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava. Probing the effect of charge transfer enhancement in off resonance mode SERS via conjugation of the probe dye between silver nanoparticles and metal substrates. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2013, 15, 12920-12929.
- A. Kandjani, M. Griffin, R. Ramanathan, S. Ippolito, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. A new paradigm for signal processing of Raman spectra using a smoothing free algorithm: coupling continuous wavelet transform with signal removal method. J. Raman Spectrosc. 2013, 608-621
- A. Pearson, A. P. O’Mullane, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Effect of imidazolium-based ionic liquids on the nanoscale morphology of CuTCNQ (TCNQ = 7,7,8,8-tetracyanoquinodimethane) metal-organic semiconductors. Langmuir. 2013, 29,8-12
- V. Bansal, A. Bharde, R. Ramanathan, S. K. Bhargava. Inorganic materials using ‘unusual’ microorganisms. Adv. Colloid Interface Sci. 2012, 179-182, 150-168. (Invited Review)
- Y. M. Sabri, S. Ippolito, A. Atanacio, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava. Mercury vapour sensor enhancement by nanostructured gold deposited on nickel surfaces using galvanic replacement reactions. J. Mater. Chem. 2012, 22, 21395-21404. (Invited Cover Page for CNR Rao special issue)
- M. Adsul, S. K. Soni, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. A facile approach for the dispersion of regenerated cellulose in aqueous system in the form of nanoparticles. Biomacromol. 2012, 13, 2890-2895.
- A. Pearson, H. Zheng, K. Kalantar-zadeh, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Decoration of TiO2 nanotubes with metal nanoparticles using polyoxometalate as a UV-switchable reducing agent for enhanced visible and solar light photocatalysis. Langmuir. 2012, 28, 14470-14475.
- A. Pearson, A. P. O’ Mullane, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Synthesis of CuTCNQ/Au microrods by galvanic replacement of semiconducting Phase I CuTCNQ with KAuBr4 in aqueous medium. Inorg. Chem. 2012, 51, 8791-8801.
- A. Pearson, A. P. O’Mullane, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Comparison of nanostructures obtained from galvanic replacement in water and an ionic liquid for application in electrocatalysis and SERS. Electrochem. Commun. 2012, 25, 87-90.
- S. K. Soni, PR. Selvakannan, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Self-assembled histidine acid phosphatase nanocapsules in ionic liquid – [BMIM][BF4] as functional templates for hollow metal nanoparticles. Langmuir. 2012, 28, 10389-10397.
- A. Chrimes, K. Khoshmanesh, P. R. Stoddart, A. Mitchell, V. Bansal, K. Kalanter-zadeh. Control of silver nanoparticle spacing using dielectrophoresis for SERS applications. Anal. Chem. 2012, 84, 4029-4035.
- A. Z. Sadek, V. Bansal, D. G. McCulloch, P. G. Spizzirri, K. Latham, D. W. M. Lau, Z. Hu, K. Kalantar-zadeh. Facile, size-controlled deposition of highly dispersed gold nanoparticles on nitrogen carbon nanotubes for hydrogen sensing. Sens. Actuators B Chem. 2011, 160, 1034-1042.
- A. Pearson, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. UV-switchable polyoxometalate sandwiched between TiO2 and metal nanoparticles for enhanced visible and solar light photocatalysis. Langmuir. 2011, 27, 9245-9252.
- Y. M. Sabri, S. Ippolito, A. P. O'Mullane, J. Tardio, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava. Creating gold nanoprisms directly on quartz crystal microbalance electrodes for mercury vapour sensing. Nanotechnol. 2011, 22, 305501.
- A. Pearson, H. Jani, K. Kalantar-zadeh, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Gold nanoparticles-decorated Keggin ions/TiO2 photocatalyst for improved solar light photocatalysis. Langmuir. 2011, 27, 6661-6667.
- J. L. Campbell, J. Arora, S. F. Cowell, A. Garg, P. Eu, S.K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Quasi-cubic magnetite/ silica core-shell nanoparticles as enhanced MRI contrast agents for cancer imaging. PLoS ONE. 2011, 6, e21857.
- R. Y. Parikh, R. Ramanathan, P. J. Coloe, S. K. Bhargava, M.S. Patole, Y. S. Shouche, V. Bansal. Genus-wide physicochemical evidence of extracellular crystalline silver nanoparticles from Morganella spp. PLoS ONE. 2011, 6, e21401.
- V. Bansal, R. Ramanathan, S. K. Bhargava. Fungus-mediated biological approaches towards ‘green’ synthesis of oxide nanomaterials. Aus. J. Chem. 2011, 64 (2), 279-293. (Invited Research Front Review featured on the Cover Page for RACI Conference)
- R. Ramanathan, J. Campbell, S. K. Soni, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Cationic amino acids specific biomimetic silicification in ionic liquid: a quest to understand the formation of 3-D structures in diatoms. PLoS ONE. 2011, 6, e17707.
- A. Pearson, A. P. O’Mullane, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava. Galvanic replacement of semiconductor phase I CuTCNQ microrods with KAuBr4 to fabricate CuTCNQ/Au nanocomposites with photocatalytic properties. Inorg. Chem. 2011, 50, 1705-1712.
- R. Ramanathan, A. P. O’Mullane, R. Y. Parikh, P. M. Smooker, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Bacterial kinetics-controlled shape-directed biosynthesis of silver nanoplates using Morganella psychrotolerans. Langmuir. 2011, 27, 714-719.
- S. Gupta, S. Bhattacharjee, D. Pandey, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava, J. L. Peng, A. Garg. Absence of morphotropic phase boundary effects in BiFeO3-PbTiO3 thin films grown via a chemical multilayer deposition method. Appl. Phys. A: Mater. Sci. Processing. 2011, 104, 395-400.
- P. Jackson, S. Periasamy, V. Bansal, M. Geso. Evaluation of the effects of gold nanoparticles shape and size on contrast enhancement in radiological imaging. Australas. Phys. Eng. Sci. Med. 2011, 34, 243-249.
- W. N. Rahman, N. Yagi, R. Davidson, I. Darby, V. Bansal, M. Geso. Influence of gold nanoparticles on radiation dose enhancement and cellular migration in microbeam irradiated cells. BioNanoSci. 2011, (DOI: 10.1007/s12668-011-0001-x;)
- V. Bansal, V. Li, A. P. O’Mullane, S. K. Bhargava. Shape dependent electrocatalytic behaviour of silver nanoparticles. Cryst. Eng. Commun. 2010, 12, 4280-4286.
- S. K. Soni, R. Ramanathan, P. J. Coloe, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava. Self-assembled enzyme nanocapsules in ionic liquid [BMIM][BF4] as templating nanoreactors for hollow silica nanocontainers. Langmuir. 2010, 26, 16020-16024.
- S. Mukherjee, R. Gupta, A. Garg, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava. Influence of Zr doping on the structure and ferroelectric properties of BiFeO3 thin films. J. Appl. Phys. 2010, 107, 123535.
- R. Ramanathan, S. K. Bhargava, V. Bansal. Biosilicification studies using amino acids in ionic liquid [BMIM][BF4]. Eur. Cells Mater. 2010, 20 (3), 209. (ISSN 1473-2262)
- V. Bansal, S. K. Soni, S. K. Bhargava. Self-assembled protein nanocapsules in ionic liquids as templating nanoreactors for enzyme-encapsulated hollow nanocontainers. Eur. Cells Mater. 2010, 20 (3), 11. (ISSN 1473-2262)
- A. Low, V. Bansal. A visual tutorial on the synthesis of gold nanoparticles. Biomed. Imaging Interv. J. 2010, 6 (1), e9, 1-6 (ISSN: 1823-5530).
- A. Pearson, A. P. O'Mullane, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava. Galvanic replacement mediated shape transformation of Ag nanospheres into dendritic Ag-Au nanostructures in the ionic liquid [BMIM][BF4]. Chem. Commun. 2010, 46, 731-733.
- P. D. Sawant, Y. Sabri, S. J. Ippolito, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava. In-depth nano-scale analysis of complex interactions of Hg with gold nanostructures using AFM based power spectrum density method. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2009, 11, 2374-2378. [Article cover page (PDF 143KB)]
- S. Sivakumar, V. Bansal, C. Cortez, S. F. Chong, A. N. Zelikin, F. Caruso. Degradable, surfactant-free, monodisperse, polymer-encapsulated emulsions as anticancer drug carriers. Adv. Mater. 2009, 21, 1-5.
- Plowman, S. J. Ippolito, V. Bansal, Y. M. Sabri, A. P. O'Mullane, S. K. Bhargava. Gold nanospikes formed through a simple electrochemical route with high electrocatalytic and surface enhanced Raman scattering activity. Chem. Commun. 2009, 5039-5041.
- P. O'Mullane, S. Ippolito, Y. Sabri, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava. Premonolayer oxidation of nanostructured gold: an important factor influencing electrocatalytic activity. Langmuir 2009, 25, 3845-3852.
- Z. Sadek, H. Zheng, M. Breedon, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava, K. Latham, P. Spizzirri, J. Zhu, L. Yu, Z. Hu, W. Wlodarski, K. Kalantar-zadeh. High temperature anodized WO3 nanoplatelet films for photosensitive devices. Langmuir 2009, 25, 9545-9551.
- V. Bansal, A. P. O'Mullane, S. K. Bhargava. Galvanic replacement mediated synthesis of hollow Pt nanocatalysts: significance of residual Ag in H2 evolution reactions. Electrochem. Commun. 2009, 11, 1639-1642.
- M. A. Bennett, S. K. Bhargava, A. M. Bond, V. Bansal, C. M. Forsyth, Si-X. Guo, S. H. Priver.Electrochemical and chemical oxidation of [Pt(µ-pyrophosphite)] revisited: characterization of a nitrosyl derivative [Pt(µ-pyrophosphite)(NO)]. Inorg. Chem. 2009, 48, 2593-2604.
- Z. Sadek, V. Bansal, S. K. Bhargava, J. Zhu, L. Yu, Z. Hu, P. Spizzirri, W. Wlodarski, K. Kalantar-zadeh.Nanostructured WO3 films using high temperature anodization. Sens. Actuators B Chem. 2009, 142, 230-235.
- Y. Wang, V. Bansal, A. N. Zelikin, F. Caruso. Templated synthesis of single-component polymer capsules and their application in drug delivery. Nano Lett. 2008, 8, 1741-1745.
- V. Bansal, H. Jani, J. D. Plessis, P. J. Coloe, S. K. Bhargava. Galvanic replacement reaction on metal films: A one-step approach to create nanoporous surfaces for catalysis. Adv. Mater. 2008, 20, 717-723.
- V. Bansal, A. Ahmad and M. Sastry. Fungus-mediated selective bioleaching of silica as a means of enrichment of zirconia in zircon sand. Langmuir. 2007, 23, 4993-4998.
- V. Bansal, A. Ahmad, M. Sastry. Fungus-mediated biotransformation of amorphous silica in rice husk to nanocrystalline silica. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 14059-14066.
- V. Bansal, P. Poddar, A. Ahmad, M. Sastry. Room-temperature biosynthesis of ferroelectric barium titanate nanoparticles. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 11958-11963.
- Bharde, D. Rautaray, V. Bansal, A. Ahmad, I. Sarkar, S. M. Yusuf, M. Sanyal, M. Sastry. Extracellular biosynthesis of magnetite using fungi. Small. 2006, 2, 135-141.
- V. Bansal, A. Sanyal, D. Rautaray, A. Ahmad, M. Sastry. Bioleaching of sand by the fungus, Fusarium oxysporum as a means of producing extracellular silica nanoparticles. Adv. Mater. 2005, 17, 889-892.
- Sanyal, D. Rautaray, V. Bansal, A. Ahmad, M. Sastry. Heavy metal remediation by a fungus as a means of production of lead and cadmium carbonate crystals. Langmuir. 2005, 21, 7220-7224.
- R. Shukla, V. Bansal, M. Chaudhary, A. Basu, R. R. Bhonde, M. Sastry. Biocompatibility of gold nanoparticles and their endocytotic fate inside the cellular compartment: a microscopic overview. Langmuir. 2005, 21, 10644-10654.
- V. Bansal, D. Rautaray, A. Bharde, K. Ahire, A. Sanyal, A. Ahmad, M. Sastry. Fungus-mediated biosynthesis of silica and titania particles. J. Mater. Chem. 2005, 15, 2583-2589.
- V. Bansal, D. Rautaray, A. Ahmad, M. Sastry. Biosynthesis of zirconia nanoparticles using the fungus Fusarium oxysporum. J. Mater. Chem. 2004, 14, 3303-3305.
- H. Joshi, P. S. Shirude, V. Bansal, K. N. Ganesh, M. Sastry. Isothermal titration calorimetry studies on the binding of amino acids to gold nanoparticles. J. Phys. Chem. B 2004, 108, 11535-11540.
Selected gene and protein sequences reported in NCBI database
- R. Balasaraswathi, S. M. Premkumari, K. S. Rani, V. Bansal. Bougainvillea spectabilis 26S rRNA sequence. NCBI Accession No. AY290718
- R. Balasaraswathi, K. S. Rani, V. Bansal. Bougainvillea spectabilis antiviral protein (Ap1) complete cds. NCBI Accession No. AY437531.
- R. Balasaraswathi, K. S. Rani, V. Bansal. Bougainvillea spectabilis antiviral protein. NCBI Accession No. AAR9737.1.
Selected research highlights by Australian and international media
- Radio interview with “Einstein A Go-Go” program of the 3RRR radio on biological synthesis of nanomaterials, and development of nanochip biosensor for malaria diagnostics (8th May 2011)
- Media interview with the national newspaper “The Age” – ASK AN EXPERT – Could nanotechnology help wipe out malaria? (8th Feb 2011).
- Highlights of a grant on malaria diagnosis using nanotechnology.
- RMIT homepage coverage
- RMIT newsroom coverage
- Australian Universities News coverage
- Campus Daily News coverage
- ATN in Profile coverage
- Recent work on Hg sensing which appeared as a Cover Page Article of journal Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys.(PCCP) has been cited all over the world:
- Nanotechwire - Measuring mercury with nanotechnology
- Nanotechnology Now - Measuring mercury with nanotechnology
- Science Alert - Gold nano-hairs find mercury
- Nanowerk News - Pioneering nanotechnology sensor can precisely measure mercury
- Meridian Institute - Measuring mercury with nanotechnology
- R&D Magazine - Gold spikes take accurate measure of industrial mercury
- RMIT News – Measuring mercury with nanotechnology
- Media interview with "The Australian Financial Review" (2 Feb 2009) – Sino-Australian partnership on nanotechnology research (PDF 272KB).
- Research on "room-temperature biotransformation of amorphous silica in rice husk into as a potential commercial technology (J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006 128, 14059-14066).
- Work on electrically read-write memories using 4-5 nm ferroelectric BaTiO3 particles has been covered by national daily The Telegraph as potential future memory device material (J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 11958-11963).
- Cytotoxicity studies of gold nanoparticles and their immunological effect on human cell lines has been covered by Prof. Vincent Rotello as top 10 hidden jewels at Faculty of 1000 Biology (Langmuir 2005, 21, 10644-10654).
- Editorial article written on our work on single component polymer capsules for drug delivery applications by the Editor of Nanoscale Research Letters, 2008, 3, 265-267. (Nano Lett. 2008, 8, 1741-1745.