Professor Michael Austin
Electrical and Computer Eng
+61 3 9925 2459
Science, Engineering & Health
- BEng (Communication Engineering), 1977, RMIT
- MEng (Communication Engineering), 1980, RMIT
- PhD, 1982, University College London
- 2001-current, Program Manager/Group Head, Aust. Photonics Cooperative Research Centre
- 1996-current, Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- 1994-current, Director, Microelectronics and Materials Technology Centre, RMIT University
- 1991-1996, Assoc. Professor, Dept. of Communication and Electronic Eng., RMIT University
- 1988, Invited Researcher, Communications Research Laboratory, Tokyo, Japan
- 1986-1991, Senior Lecturer, Dept. of Communication and Electronic Eng., RMIT University
- 1982-1986, Lecturer, Dept. of Communication and Electronic Engineering, RMIT University
- 1979-1982, Research Fellow, British Telecom Research Laboratories, Ipswich, England
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers Australia (IEAust.)
- Member, Institution of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Integrated optical devices
- Microwave photonic systems
- Micro/nano fabrication technologies
- Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO), Tenix Systems and Micreo Ltd. – participation in major Defence funded projects to develop wideband lithium niobate optical modulators and microwave receiver modules based on photonic technology.
- BAE Systems – development of photonic microwave receiver modules
Ten most significant research publications in the last five years:
- G. Kostovski, D. J. White, A. Mitchell, M. W. Austin and P. R. Stoddart, “Nanoimprinted optical fibres: Biotemplated nanostructures for SERS sensing”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 24, pp. 1531-1535, 2009.
- G. Kostovski, A. Mitchell, A. Holland and M. W. Austin, “Sidewall corrugation lithography: Bulk fabrication of ordered nanowires, nanoribbons, and nanorings”, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, issue 22, pp. 223109, 2008.
- G. Kostovski, D. J. White, A. Mitchell, M. W. Austin and P. R. Stoddart, “Nanoimprinting on optical fibre endfaces for chemical sensing”, Proc. 19th International Conference on Optical Fibre Sensors (OFS-19), Perth, Australia, April 14-18, 2008, in Proc. SPIE Volume 7004, paper 70042H (2008).
- S. Fernando, M. W. Austin and J. Chaffey, “Improved cantilever profiles for sensor elements”, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, vol. 40, pp. 7652-7655, November 2007.
- D. N. Neshev, A. A. Sukhorukov, A. Dreishuh. R. Fischer, S. Ha, J. Bolger, L. A. Bui, W. Krolikowski, B. J. Eggleton, A. Mitchell, M. W. Austin and Y. S. Kivshar, “Nonlinear Spectral-Spatial Control and Localization of Supercontinuum Radiation”, Physical Review Letters, vol. 99, no. 12, 123901(1-4), September 2007.
- A. A. Sukhorukov, D. N. Neshev, A. Dreishuh. R. Fischer, S. Ha, J. Bolger, L. A. Bui, W. Krolikowski, B. J. Eggleton, A. Mitchell, M. W. Austin and Y. S. Kivshar, “Trapped Supercontinuum and Multi-Color Gap Solitons”, Optics and Photonics News, vol. 18, no. 12, 41, 2007.
- G. Kostovski, A. Mitchell, A. Holland, E. Fardin and M. W. Austin, “Nanolithography by elastomeric scattering mask: An application of photolithographic standing waves”, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 88, 133128, March 2006.
- S. T. Winnall, A. C. Lindsay, M. W. Austin, J Canning and A. Mitchell, “A Microwave Channeliser and Spectroscope Based on an Integrated Optical Bragg-Grating Fabry-Perot and Integrated Hybrid Fresnel Lens System”, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., vol. 54, no. 2, Part 2, pp. 868-872, 2006.
- Y. S. Visagathilagar, T. G. Nguyen, A. Mitchell and M. W. Austin, “Systematic Design Approach for Optimized Resonantly Enhanced Mach-Zehnder Modulators”, J. Lightwave Tech., vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 555-562, 2006.
- M. Matuszewski, C. R. Rosberg, D. N. Neshev, A. A. Sukhorukov, A. Mitchell, M. Trippenbach, M. W. Austin, W. Krolikowski and Y. S. Kivshar, “Crossover from Self-Defocusing to Discrete Trapping in Nonlinear Waveguide Arrays”, Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 254-259, 2006.