Bachelor of Applied Science (Aviation)
- Local students
- International students
- Program code: BP070
- CRICOS code: 022041J
- Campus: City campus
You'll be prepared for employment in a range of operational, management and planning roles in the dynamic and vibrant aviation industry.
Aviation is highly competitive and needs well-trained individuals who can work effectively in rapidly changing environments.
RMIT has been involved in aerospace and aviation education and training for more than 60 years. Our suite of programs produces graduates equipped to be effective in a wide range of roles and levels.
You'll gain a broad awareness of the aviation industry and a range of analytical skills that will give you a comprehensive appreciation of the aviation operating environment. You'll be able to demonstrate breadth and depth of thinking and solve problems in the aviation industry workplace.
The program offers a career development option for people who already hold a Commercial Pilot's Licence. Commercial pilots receive 1 year of advanced standing credit.
3 years full-time
International student visa holders can only study full-time.
Learning and teaching
RMIT offers a variety of learning and teaching approaches including lectures, seminars, studios, workshops, presentations, group discussions and syndicate work. These are primarily in English.
You will have access to the Learning Hub and other online and digital resources through the myRMIT student portal.
Ongoing assessment throughout the semester includes examinations, essays, reports, oral classes, presentations, group projects, research projects, laboratory projects and practical assignments.
This program combines studies in core discipline areas with elective studies. You can tailor the program to suit your interests and career opportunities.
Areas of study include:
- Technical studies. You'll develop an understanding of aircraft and aviation systems.
- Professional development courses. Project activities develop and integrate discipline-specific skills and generic capabilities that are widely used across the professions.
- Industry systems and processes. You'll develop knowledge and skills in planning and management.
- The specifics of planning and management relevant to the aviation industry. These take account of risk, safety, human factors, the industry environment and other key themes.
The following program structure(s) is an example of what students are currently studying in this program.
In the first year of the program, industry-based professionals deliver guest lectures designed to enhance your understanding of the aviation industry.
RMIT University is committed to providing you with an education that strongly links formal learning with professional or vocational practice.
Graduates may choose to embark on professional careers in the following areas:
- airline management
- airline operations
- airport management
- airport operations
- airport planning
- aviation charter business
- aviation consulting
- aviation regulation and safety.
RMIT graduates continue to be highly employable.
Program entry requirements
You must have successfully completed an Australian Year 12 or an equivalent senior secondary school qualification with a minimum average of 65%.
For information on international qualifications and corresponding entry requirements that are equivalent to an Australian Year 12, see the Entry requirements by country web page.
Equivalent qualifications may also include completion of the RMIT Foundation Studies program or a recognised post secondary diploma in the relevant discipline with the required grades.
Mathematics or VCE Mathematics (any).
English language requirements:
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- Academic IELTS (minimum scores) overall band of 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL (Paper-based): minimum score of 580 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): minimum score of 92 with a minimum of 20 in each section
- Cambridge English (Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B
- Pearson: Minimum score of 58 (no band less than 50).
For detailed information on English language requirements and other proficiency tests recognised by RMIT, visit English language requirements.
Don't meet the English language test scores? Complete an Advanced Plus Certificate at RMIT English Worldwide.
How to apply
1. Check program entry requirements and confirm you're eligible.
2. Ensure you have your supporting documents ready - this includes certified copies of all academic transcripts.
3. Complete and submit your application using one of the following options:
- Apply online. Please read these important notes before proceeding.
- Print and complete the Application form for international students (PDF 315 KB 4p) and submit following the instructions on the form.
- Use a registered RMIT representative in your country.
There are no application deadlines for international students; however, we encourage you to apply early as acceptance into programs is subject to the availability of places. An application fee may apply.
Learn more about the International application process.
- In addition to tuition fees you are required to pay the Student services and amenities fee (SSAF) in each calendar year.
- All international student visa holders are required to maintain valid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the total duration of their visa.
- Some programs incur additional expenses.
- Here is an estimate cost of living you can expect to pay each year.
Graduates of the Associate Degree in Aviation (Professional Pilots) may be eligible to apply for exemptions.
Students with relevant qualifications who are successful in gaining a place in the program can apply for advanced standing.
Applications for recognition of prior learning are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Aerospace, Mech & Manuf Eng
For further information about this program, please make an enquiry.
Although RMIT endeavours to ensure the accuracy of this information, there is no guarantee it will remain accurate all year. Applicants are advised to confirm program details with the appropriate school before making an application.