Dr Peter Rich
+(61 3) 9925 7593
Science, Engineering & Health
Summary of responsibilities
Dr Rich lectures in gross anatomy to students studying Human Movement, Physical Education, Chiropractic, Osteopathy, and Chinese Medicine, and to students pursuing the Biomedical Science degree. Dr Rich ’s research interests include the effects of exercise on bone mass in children and adults, and muscle action.
- Dip.P.E., Sydney Teachers' College, 1967
- B.Sci., University of Oregon, 1972
- M.Sci., University of Oregon, 1973
- Ph.D., University of Oregon, 1977
Industry / profession / community involvement
Dr Rich is a member of the following associations:
- Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society
- Australian Assoc. for Exercise and Sports’ Science
- Sports Medicine Australia
- International Society of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions
Educational development work
- Involved in the development of an image database for the study of gross anatomy. Software completed and made available to the RMIT community as a source of high quality anatomical images. Developed with the Education Media Group.
- Involved in the development of a Bioradiological Atlas (IeAtlas) with a team of staff from Nursing, Medical Radiations and Cell Biology and Anatomy.
Recent research publications and presentations: 2000 – present)
- Villani, R., Gannon, G., Self, M. and Rich, P. (2000). L-carnitine supplementation combined with aerobic training does not promote weight loss in moderately obese women. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 10(2): 199-207.
- Daly, R., Rich, P.A., Klein, R. and Bass, S. (2000). Short stature in elite pre- and peri-pubertal male gymnasts: the result of selection bias or intense training? Journal of Pediatrics. 137(4): 510-16.
- Gaffney, B.T., Hugel, H.M. and Rich, P.A. (2001). The Effects of Eleutherococcus senticosus and panax ginseng on Steroidal Hormone indices of Stress and Lymphocyte Numbers in Endurance Athletes. Life Sciences. 70(4): 431-42.
- Greenway, K., Rich, P.A., Villani, R. and Ebeling, P. (2000). Does long-term swimming participation lead to reduced BMD. Bone. 27(4), Supplement: 44S.
- Lucas, K.R., Polus, B.I and Rich, P.A. (2000). Latent Myofascial Trigger Points and Temporal Muscle Recruitment Patterns of the Shoulder Girdle. Proceedings of the International Shoulder Group Conference, Newcastle on Tyne, UK, 2-5 September 2000.
- Lucas, K.R., Polus, B.I and Rich, P.A. (2000). Temporal sequence of muscle recruitment during scapular plane elevation: a pilot study. Proceedings 2nd Conference of the IEEE EMBS, Victoria, Australia, February 2000.
- Gaffney, B.T., Hugel, H.M. and Rich, P.A. (2001). Panax ginseng and Eleutherococcus senticosus may exaggerate an already existing biphasic response to stress via inhibition of enzymes which limit the binding of stress hormones to their receptors.Medical Hypothesis. 56(5): 567-72.
- Lucas, K.R., Polus, B.I and Rich, P.A. (2001). The effects of latent myofascial trigger points on the temporal muscle recruitment pattern during scapular plane elevation.Symposium of the International Society for Postural and Gait Research, Maastricht, The Netherlands, 23-27 June 2001.
- Lucas, K.R., Polus, B.I and Rich, P.A. (2001). The effects of latent myofascial trigger points in the scapular rotator muscles on the temporal sequence of muscle recruitment during loaded scapular plane elevation. The International Society of Biomechanics XVIIIth Congress, Zurich, Switzerland, 8-13 July 2001.
- Lucas KR, Polus BI, Rich PA Muscle Activation Patterns: The Effects of Fatigue during Scapular Plane Elevation. Proceedings of the 4th meeting of the International Shoulder Group, Cleveland, USA, 16th-18th June 2002.
- Lucas KR, Polus BI, Rich PA Muscle activation patterns: the effects of fatigue on latent myofascial trigger points (LTrPs) during scapular plane elevation. 19th Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics, Dunedin, New Zealand, 6th-11th July 2003.
- B.T. Gaffney, H. Hugel and P. A. Rich 2004) The Chromatographic Co-elution of Dihydrodehydrodiconiferyl Alcohol Monopyranose with Eleutheroside E in Eleutherococcus senticosus: Implications for Eleutheroside E Assays Phytochem. Anal. 15(4), 231-234
- Karen R. Lucas Barbara I. Polus and Peter A. Rich (2004) Latent myofascial trigger points: their effects on muscle activation and movement efficiency. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies. 8(3): 160-166
- Rich P, Bywater R., Deverell K, Keens J, Kerry I, Lane B, Sallowsky M. The Anatomy Museum Project. Annual Scientific Meeting of The Australian and New Zealand Association of Clinical Anatomists. La Trobe University Melbourne Australia, Nov 30th – Dec 1st 2006.
- Lucas KR, Polus BI, Rich PA 2008 How Common Are Latent Myofascial Trigger Points in the Scapular Positioning Muscles? Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain Vol 16, Issue 4 Pages 279-286
- Pisani H; Guy R; Rich P; Mandarano G; Molyneux T and C Leahy. Development of an Interactive Electronic Atlas (IeA). The Australian and New Zealand Association of Clinical Anatomists Annual Conference, Monash University, Melbourne, 2009.
- Pisani H; Guy R; Rich P; Mandarano G; Molyneux T and C Leahy. Teaching, Technology and Clinical Practice: Making learning Relevant. ANNA Annual Scientific Meeting 2009.
Academic management / administration responsibilities
- Coordination of the courses Human Structure and Function 1 and 2
- Year 2 Coordinator Biomedical Science