Dr Peter Rich
+61 3 9925 7593
Science, Engineering & Health
Dr Rich lectures in gross anatomy to students studying Exercise and Sports Science, Physical Education. Dr Rich’s research interests include the effects of exercise on bone mass in children and adults, and muscle action.
- Coordination of the courses Human Structure and Function 1 and 2
- Year 2 Coordinator Biomedical Science
- Dip.P.E., Sydney Teachers' College, 1967
- B.Sci., University of Oregon, 1972
- M.Sci., University of Oregon, 1973
- Ph.D., University of Oregon, 1977
Industry and community involvement
Dr Rich is a member of the following associations:
- Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society
- Australian Assoc. for Exercise and Sports’ Science
- Sports Medicine Australia
Educational development work
- Involved in the development of an image database for the study of gross anatomy. Software completed and made available to the RMIT community as a source of high quality anatomical images. Developed with the Education Media Group.
- Involved in the development of a Bioradiological Atlas (IeAtlas) with a team of staff from Nursing, Medical Radiations and Cell Biology and Anatomy.
- Daly, R., Rich, P. A. and R. Klein (1997). Influence of high impact loading on ultrasound bone measurements in children: a cross-sectional report. Calcified Tissue International. 60(5): 401-404
- Häusler, K. D., Rich, P.A., Barry, E.B. (1997). Water bath and contact methods in in the ultrasonic evaluation of bone. Calcified Tissue International. 61(1): 26-29.
- Daly, R., Rich, P. A. and R. Klein (1998). Hormonal responses to physical training in high level peripubertal male gymnasts. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 79(1): 74-81.
- Häusler, K. D., Rich, P.A., Barry, E.B., Smith, P (1999). Relationships between static histomorphometry and ultrasound in the human calcaneus. Calcified Tissue International. 64(6): 477-480
- Daly, R, Rich, P A, Klein, R and S Bass (1999) Does high-impact exercise confer a skeletal benefit during growth in young male gymnasts? Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 14(7): 1222-1230
- Villani, R., Gannon, G., Self, M. and Rich , P. (2000). L-carnitine supplementation combined with aerobic training does not promote weight loss in moderately obese women. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 10(2): 199-207.
- Daly, R., Rich , P.A., Klein, R. and Bass, S. (2000). Short stature in elite pre- and peri-pubertal male gymnasts: the result of selection bias or intense training? Journal of Pediatrics. 137(4): 510-16.
- Gaffney, B.T., Hugel, H.M. and Rich , P.A. (2001). The Effects of Eleutherococcus senticosus and panax ginseng on Steroidal Hormone indices of Stress and Lymphocyte Numbers in Endurance Athletes. Life Sciences. 70(4): 431-42.
- Gaffney, B.T., Hugel, H.M. and Rich , P.A. (2001). Panax ginseng and Eleutherococcus senticosus may exaggerate an already existing biphasic response to stress via inhibition of enzymes which limit the binding of stress hormones to their receptors. Medical Hypothesis. 56(5): 567-72.B.T. Gaffney, H. Hugel and P. A. Rich 2004) The Chromatographic Co-elution of Dihydrodehydrodiconiferyl Alcohol Monopyranose with Eleutheroside E in Eleutherococcus senticosus: Implications for Eleutheroside E Assays. Phytochem. Anal. 15(4), 231-234
- Karen R. Lucas Barbara I. Polus and Peter A. Rich (2004) Latent myofascial trigger points: their effects on muscle activation and movement efficiency. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies. 8(3): 160-166
- Lucas KR, Polus BI, Rich PA 2008 How Common Are Latent Myofascial Trigger Points in the Scapular Positioning Muscles? Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain Vol 16, Issue 4 Pages 279-286
- Lucas KR, Polus BI, Rich PA. Muscle Activation Patterns in the Scapular Positioning Muscles during Loaded Scapular Plane Elevation: the Effects of Latent Myofascial Trigger Points. Clinical Biomechanics. Volume 25, Issue 8, October 2010, Pages 765-770
- Kate Gwendoline Greenway, Jeff Whenan Walkley and Peter Adrian Rich. Does long-term swimming participation have a deleterious effect on the adult female skeleton? European Journal of Applied Physiology: Volume 112, Issue 9 (2012) , Page 3217.
- Rich, P and R Guy. A “Do-It Yourself Interactive Bone Structure Module” – Development and Evaluation of an On-line Teaching Resource. Anat Sci Educ. 2013 Mar-Apr; 6(2):107-13