Professor Franz Fuss
Professor in Sports Engineering
Aerosp Mech & Manuf Eng
+(61 3) 9925 6123
Science, Engineering & Health
As Innovation Professor of Sports Engineering and Technology, and team leader of the SportzEdge Program, Professor F. K. Fuss is responsible for providing leadership and management of sports engineering research programs and teaching.
- PGDipBiomech, Strathclyde University, 1993
- PhD, Vienna University, 1992
- MD, Vienna University, 1987
- Sports Equipment: Design, Testing, Innovation, Solid Mechanics, Dynamics, Vibrations, Aerodynamics, Optimisation, Ergonomics, Safety, Injury Prevention, Energy Return and Transfer, Standards, Development of Novel Test Methods.
- Instrumentation: Mobile Technology, Sensors, Signal Processing, Visualisation Techniques, Performance Analysis, Biofeedback, Fractal Geometry of Signals.
- Visco-elasticity: Mathematical Modelling, Development of Test Methods with emphasis on Nonlinear Visco-elasticity, Identification of Time-dependent Phenomena, Classification of Nonlinear Visco-elastic Materials.
- Foam Mechanics: Nonlinear Visco-elasticity, Testing, Mathematical Modelling, Collapse Behaviour
- Tribology: Non-linear Friction, Sliding Friction, Rolling Friction, Sports Equipment Surfaces, Sports Floor Surfaces
- Bioengineering: Musculo-skeletal Biomechanics, 3D-Kinematics, Orthopaedic Implant Engineering, Spinal Implants.
- 2009 – present, Innovation Professor and team leader SportzEdge Program, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University
- 2008-2009, Associate Professor, Coordinator Sports Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Adelaide, Australia
- 2005-2008, Associate Professor, Division of Bioengineering, School of Biomedical and Chemical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- 2003-2007, Deputy Director of the BioMedical Engineering Research Centre (BMERC) NTU, Singapore
- 2001-2005, Division of Engineering Mechanics, School of Mechanical and Production/Aerospace Engineering (MPE/MAE), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- 1993-2001, Associate Professor, Division of Biomechanics, Medical Theoretical Institutes, Vienna University, Austria
- 1987-1992, Lecturer, Medical Theoretical Institutes, Vienna University, Austria
Professor Fuss is an active member of many Journals, Conferences and Organizations as member, reviewer, organizer and editor-in-chief.
Professor Fuss has authored or coauthored over 200 publications including books, book chapters, journal articles, and conference papers.
Professor Fuss considers the following publications as his best publications:
- Fuss FK, Subic A, Ujihashi S (Eds) 2008 The Impact of Technology on Sport II, pp.940, Publisher: Taylor and Francis Group, London, UK, ISBN: 0415456959.
- FUSS FK 2009 Function or Fashion? Design of sports shoes and directional energy return: introducing a new concept of directional energy transfer. In: Alam F, Smith LV, Subic A, Fuss FK, Ujihashi S (Eds) 2009 The Impact of Technology on Sport III, RMIT Press, Melbourne.
- FUSS FK 2009 The collapse timing and rate of closed cell foams: revealing a conceptual misunderstanding of foam mechanics. In: Alam F, Smith LV, Subic A, Fuss FK, Ujihashi S (Eds) 2009 The Impact of Technology on Sport III, RMIT Press, Melbourne.
- FUSS FK, ALLGEUER T. 2009 Collapse behaviour of foam shock pads. In: Alam F, Smith LV, Subic A, Fuss FK, Ujihashi S (Eds) 2009 The Impact of Technology on Sport III, RMIT Press, Melbourne.
- FUSS FK, NIEGL G 2008 Quantification of the grip difficulty of a climbing hold. In: The Engineering of Sport 7, pp 19-26, Eds: Estivalet M, Brisson B, Springer, Paris.
- FUSS FK 2008 Logarithmic visco-elastic impact modelling of golf balls. In: The Engineering of Sport 7, pp 45-51, Eds: Estivalet M, Brisson B, Springer, Paris.
- Fuss FK 2008 Non-Linear Viscoelastic Properties of Golf Balls. In: The Impact of Technology on Sport II, pp. 207-222, Eds: Fuss FK, Subic A, Ujihashi S, Taylor and Francis Group, London.
- Fuss FK, Niegl G 2008 The Fully Instrumented Climbing Wall: Performance Analysis, Route Grading and Vector Diagrams – A Preliminary Study. In: The Impact of Technology on Sport II, pp. 677-682, Eds: Fuss FK, Subic A, Ujihashi S, Taylor and Francis Group, London.
- FUSS FK, NIEGL G 2006 Dynamics of Speed Climbing. In: The Engineering of Sport 6, Vol. 1 – Developments for Sports, pp. 51-56, Eds: Moritz EF, Haake S; Springer, Munich.
- FUSS FK, NIEGL G, YAP YH, TAN MA 2004 Measurement of pinch grip forces during sport climbing. In: The Engineering of Sport 5, Vol. 2, pp. 262-268, Eds: Hubbard M, Mehta RD, Pallis JM, International Sports Engineering Association, Sheffield, UK.
- FUSS FK, NIEGL G, TAN MA 2004 Friction between hand and different surfaces under different conditions and its implication for sport climbing. In: The Engineering of Sport 5, Vol. 2, pp. 269-275, Eds: Hubbard M, Mehta RD, Pallis JM, International Sports Engineering Association, Sheffield, UK.
- FUSS FK 1993 Cruciate ligaments, morphology, function, and biomechanics. In: Principios de artroscopia y cirurgía artroscópica (“Principles of Arthroscopy and Arthroscopic Surgery”), pp. 99-108. Eds.: Zarins B, Cugat R. Springer Ibérica, Barcelona.
- FUSS FK 2009 Influence of mass on the speed of wheelchair racing. Sports Engineering, 12:41–53.
- FUSS FK 2009 Design of an Instrumented Bowling Ball and its Application to Performance Analysis in Tenpin Bowling. Sports Technology, 2(3-4):97-110.
- FUSS FK, NIEGL G 2008 Instrumented Climbing Holds and Performance Analysis in Sport Climbing. Sports Technology, 1(6):301-313.
- FUSS FK 2008 Cricket balls: construction, non-linear visco-elastic properties, quality control and implications for the game. Sports Technology, 1(1):41-55.
- FUSS FK, TAN MA 2007 Blast-Preventing Anti-Landmine Shoes. Innovation, 7(2):76-77.
- GOH PK, FUSS FK, YANAI T, RITCHIE AC, LIE DTT, TJIN SC 2007 Measurement of intrameniscal forces and stresses by two different miniature transducers. Journal ofMechanics in Biology and Medicine, 7(1):65-74.
- TAN MA, FUSS FK, NIEGL G 2007 Dynamics of A2 finger pulley rupture. Journal of Mechanics in Biology and Medicine, 7(1):75-87.
- FUSS FK, SABITZER RJ 1999 Lumbar spinal implant for minimal-invasive fusion. Med. Biol. Engng. Comput. 37(Suppl. 2):1122-1123.
- FUSS FK 1994 A new method of clinical assessment of shoulder kinematics by means of the parameters of helical axes. Eur. J. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 4:125-130.
- FUSS FK 1994 Fibrous tissue on the tibia plateau of the kangaroo - a theory on the pressure absorption of joint surfaces. Anat. Rec. 238:297-303.
- FUSS FK, BACHER A 1991 New aspects of the morphology and function of the human hip joint ligaments. Amer. J. Anat. 192:1-13.
- FUSS FK 1991 The collateral ulnar ligament of the elbow joint. Anatomy, function and biomechanics. J. Anat. 175:203-212.
- FUSS FK 1989 An analysis of the popliteus muscle in man, dog, and pig with a reconsideration of general problems of muscle function. Anat. Rec. 225:251-256.
- FUSS FK 1989 Anatomy of the cruciate ligaments and their function in extension and flexion of the human knee joint. Amer. J. Anat. 184:165-176.
- FUSS FK, NIEGL G 2010 Understanding the mechanics of dynamic rope brakes. 8th ISEA Conference (International Sports Engineering Association), Procedia Engineering 2(2): 3323-3328.
- FUSS FK, CAZZOLATO B, SHEPHERD A, HARDING J 2010 Vibration of snowboard decks. 8th ISEA Conference (International Sports Engineering Association), Procedia Engineering 2(2): 2863-2867.
- FUSS FK, OW ZEJ 2008 Performance Diagnostics with instrumented racing wheelchairs: comparison of athletes of class T52 and T53. ISBS 2008, XXVI International Symposiom on Biomechanics in Sports, July 14 - 18, 2008, Seoul, Korea, pp. 320-323.
- FUSS FK 2007 Development of instrumented sports equipment and its application to performance analysis and improvement of training. Innovative Technologies in Sport, 6 Nov 2007, Den Haag, The Netherlands
- FUSS FK, TAN MA 2006 Development of a Novel Electro-mechanical Anti-Landmine Shoe. 9th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2006, Singapore, 5 - 8 December 2006
- Fuss FK, PK Goh, Yanai T, Ritchie AC 2006 Time-Dependent Change of Load Sharing between Two Non-Linear Visco-Elastic Materials: Experiment and Model. ICBPE2006, International Conference on Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Engineering, 11-14 Dec 2006, Singapore
- Tripathy J, Fuss FK, Kulish VV, Yang S 2006 Influence of Colour Hue on Fractal EEG Dimensions. ICBPE2006, International Conference on Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Engineering, 11-14 Dec 2006, Singapore
- FUSS FK, TAN MA 2006 Maximal muscle velocity: reality or theory. ICMMB2006, Proceedings of the International Conference of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology, 6-8 December 2006, Singapore
- Fuss FK, Sabitzer RJ 2004 Extraforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion: Simulation of the Fusion Process Based on Different Implant Materials. IBEC2004 Proceedings (Proceedings of the 1st International BioEngineering Conference 2004), pp. 397-400. Eds. Fuss FK, Chia SL, Venkatraman SS, Krishnan SM, Schmidt B, NTU, Singapore
- Fuss FK 2004 Design Classification and Mechanics of Artificial Discs. IBEC2004 Proceedings (Proceedings of the 1st International BioEngineering Conference 2004), pp. 392-396. Eds. Fuss FK, Chia SL, Venkatraman SS, Krishnan SM, Schmidt B, NTU, Singapore
- FUSS FK 2003 Simulation of the fusion process and load sharing of implant, bone graft – fusion bone, and dorsal stabilisation in lumbar interbody fusion. 26th SOA (Singaporean Orthopaedic Association) Annual Scientific Meeting, 2003, Singapore (ENGINEERING AWARD for BEST TECHNICAL PAPER)
- FUSS FK 2001 Helical axes – kinematic analysis, interpretation, and application. IFMBE Proceedings (Proceedings of the International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering), Vol. 1, Part II, pp. 620-623. Eds.:Magjarevic R, Tonkovic S, Bilas V, Lackovic I, Croatian Medical and Biological Engineering Society, Zagreb
- FUSS FK 2001 Biomechanics of the navicular bone of the horse. IFMBE Proceedings (Proceedings of the International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering), Vol. 1, Part II, pp. 616-619. Eds.:Magjarevic R, Tonkovic S, Bilas V, Lackovic I, Croatian Medical and Biological Engineering Society, Zagreb
The following contributions and developments are some of Professor Fuss’ innovative and new applied methods and products.
- Cruciate Ligament Mechanics: first time proof of the 4–bar linkage system of the knee joint (which so far existed only in theory without practical evidence) which had an impact on the success of isometric cruciate ligament surgery; discovery of the constraining efficiency of cruciate ligament fibres (“isokolyon” mapping)
- Popliteus Muscle Mechanics: first time proof that the popliteus muscle is a knee extensor (an no flexor as commonly assumed and stated in text books)
- Helical Axis Surface of Joints: development of method and software for measuring and visualising 4D helical axes and helical axis surfaces with application in joint kinematics and optimisation of ligament surgery
- ELIF Spine Surgery: development (together with R. Sabitzer) of ELIF (extra-foraminal lumbar interbody fusion for minimally invasive surgery of the spine) together with a spinal implant for intervertebral disc surgery
- Anti-Landmine Shoe: development (together with M. A. Tan) of the first electro-mechanical landmine shoe, particularly for humanitarian landmine clearance, which allows stepping on a mine without activating the trigger mechanism
- Instrumented Sports Equipment: development of the first fully instrumented climbing wall and the first instrumented bowling ball, leading to a) the definition of the key performance parameters in rock climbing and ten-pin bowling, and b) development the concept of 4D-force and -moment vector diagrams, which is an invaluable tool for optimisation of training and quantification of performance
- Quality of Cricket Balls: first time comparison of different cricket balls in terms of construction, hardness, impact force and consistency of manufacturing, proving that inconsistently produced balls result in unequal chances for both teams
- Foam Collapse Rate: first time analysis of the collapse rate of closed-cell foams, a foam performance criterion which has been overlooked so far, and which reveals that the “collapse stress”, an important design parameter, has been hitherto determined wrongly.
- Directional Energy Transfer Theory: development of the concept of directional energy transfer in sports shoes, for improvement of the athletes’ performance.
Professional academic service
Sports Technology (Vol. 1+2: www.sportstechjournal.com; Vol. 3 onwards: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/rtec)
Journal of Anatomy (receiving editor 2002-2006)
ISEA, International Sports Engineering Association
Reviewer: Journals, Publishers, Proposals, Organisations
- BIOMED2-Evaluator (Area 2 - Biomedical Engineering), European Commission, Brussels
- Swiss National Fund
- Research Foundation of the Italian Ministry of Universities and Research
- NMRC (National Medical Research Council), Singapore
- Journal of Anatomy
- Clinical Anatomy
- The Anatomical Record
- Acta Anatomica / Cells Tissues Organs
- Equine Veterinary Journal.
- Clinical Biomechanics.
- IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering
- IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics
- International Journal of Sports Medicine
- Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology
- Sports Engineering
- Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H, Journal of Engineering in Medicine
- Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology
- IBEC2004 Proceedings (Proceedings of the 1st International BioEngineering Conference 2004)
- The Engineering of Sport 8, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2010
- The Impact of Technology on Sport III, RMIT Press, Melbourne, 2009
- The Engineering of Sport 7, Springer, Paris, 2008
- The Engineering of Sport 6, Springer, Munich, 2006
Organiser and Co-Organiser
- APCST2009 / 4th Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology, Hawaii, September 09; Co-Chair and Co-organiser
- APCST2007 / 3rd Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology, Singapore, 23-26/09/07; Chair and Organiser
- IBEC2004 / 1st International BioEngineering Conference, Singapore, 8-10/09/04; Member of the Organising Committee / Technical Program, Editor-in-Chief of the Proceedings.