Professor Leslie Yeo
Electrical and Computer Eng
+(61 3) 9925 2596
Science, Engineering & Health
Leslie is a Professor and Australian Research Fellow in the School of Electrical & Computer Engineering and Co-Director of the Micro/Nanophysics Research Laboratory.
MEng(Hons), PhD, ACGI, DIC
Professional interests/links to industry
Editor, Biomicrofluidics (American Institute of Physics)
Editorial Board Member, Interfacial Phenomena & Heat Transfer (Begell House)
Leslie’s current research interests are in acoustically and electrokinetically driven microfluidics for engineering and biological applications such as drug delivery and nanomedicine, point-of-care diagnostics, tissue engineering and biosensor technology.
- H-C Chang, LY Yeo. Electrokinetically Driven Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, (Cambridge University Press, New York, 2010).
- AR Rezk, O Manor, JR Friend, LY Yeo. Unique Fingering Instabilities and Soliton-Like Wave Propagation in Thin Acoustowetting Films. Nature Commun 3, 1167 (2012).
- O Manor, LY Yeo, JR Friend. The Appearance of Boundary Layers and Drift Flows Due to High-Frequency Surface Waves. J Fluid Mech 707, 482–495 (2012).
- NR Glass, RJ Shilton, PPY Chan, JR Friend, LY Yeo. Miniaturized Lab-on-a-Disc (miniLOAD). Small 8, 1881–1888 (2012) [Article selected as journal frontispiece 12/2012 p 1880].
- J Friend, LY Yeo. Microscale Acoustofluidics: Microfluidics Driven via Acoustics and Ultrasonics. Rev Mod Phys 83, 647–704 (2011).
- LY Yeo, H-C Chang, PPY Chan, JR Friend. Microfluidic Devices for Bioapplications. Small 7, 12–48 (2011).
- A Qi, P Chan, J Ho, A Rajapaksa, J Friend, L Yeo. Template-Free Synthesis and Encapsulation Technique for Layer-by-Layer Polymer Nanocarrier Fabrication. ACS Nano 5, 9583–9591 (2011).
- MK Tan, JR Friend, OK Matar, LY Yeo. Capillary Wave Motion Excited by High Frequency Surface Acoustic Waves. Phys Fluids 22, 112112 (2010).
- MK Tan, JR Friend, LY Yeo. Interfacial Jetting Phenomena Induced by Focused Surface Vibrations. Phys Rev Lett 103, 024501 (2009).
- A Qi, JR Friend, LY Yeo, DA Morton, MP McIntosh, L Spiccia. Miniature Inhalation Therapy Platform Using Surface Acoustic Wave Microfluidic Atomization. Lab Chip 9, 2184–2193 (2009).
- H Li, JR Friend, LY Yeo. Microfluidic Colloidal Island Formation and Erasure Induced by Surface Acoustic Wave Radiation. Phys Rev Lett 101, 084502 (2008).
- M Alvarez, JR Friend, LY Yeo. Surface Vibration Induced Spatial Ordering of Periodic Polymer Patterns on a Substrate. Langmuir 24, 10629-10632 (2008).
- A Qi, LY Yeo, JR Friend. Interfacial Destabilization and Atomization Driven by Surface Acoustic Waves. Phys Fluids 20, 074103 (2008).
- R Shilton, MK Tan, LY Yeo, JR Friend. Particle Concentration and Mixing in Microdrops Driven by Focused Surface Acoustic Waves. J Appl Phys 104, 014910 (2008).
- LY Yeo, JR Friend, DR Arifin. Electric Tempest in a Teacup - The Tea Leaf Analogy to Microfluidic Blood Plasma Separation. Appl Phys Lett 89, 103516 (2006).
- LY Yeo, D Hou, S Maheshswari, H-C Chang. Electrohydrodynamic Surface Micro-Vortices for Mixing and Particle Trapping. Appl Phys Lett 88, 233512 (2006).
- LY Yeo, H-C Chang. Electrowetting Films on Parallel Line Electrodes. Phys Rev E 73, 011605 (2006).
- LY Yeo, Z Gagnon, H-C Chang. AC Electrospray Biomaterials Synthesis. Biomaterials 26, 6122-6128 (2005).
- LY Yeo, D Lastochkin, S-C Wang, H-C Chang. A New AC Electrospray Mechanism by Maxwell-Wagner Polarization and Capillary Resonance. Phys Rev Lett 92, 133902 (2004).
- LY Yeo, RV Craster, OK Matar. Marangoni Instability of a Thin Liquid Film Resting on a Locally Heated Horizontal Wall. Phys Rev E 67, 056315 (2003).
- 2010: Eureka Prize for Early Career Research Finalist (Australian Museum) - For outstanding achievements in Australian research & innovation, science leadership, school science and science journalism & communication
- 2009-2013: Australian Research Fellowship (ARF) - Awarded by the Australian Research Council to postdoctoral researchers of exceptional promise to undertake research in Australia of national and international significance
- 2009: Monash University Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Research by an Early Career Researcher - Awarded in recognition of research excellence by an early career researcher within ten years of the start of their research careers
- 2009: Monash University Faculty of Engineering Early Career Researcher Award - Awarded in recognition of research excellence by an early career researcher within ten years of the start of their research careers
- 2008: Eureka Prize People’s Choice Award Finalist (Australian Museum) - For outstanding achievements in Australian science and science promotion/communication
- 2007: Young Tall Poppy Science Award (Australian Institute of Policy & Science) - In recognition of the achievements of outstanding young researchers in science
- 2007: Fresh Science Finalist - For new and interesting research being done by early-career scientists in Australia
- 2002: Dudley Newitt Prize - Awarded by Imperial College London for theoretical/computational PhD thesis of outstanding merit
- 1999-2001: University of London Knight Studentship in Science & Engineering - Awarded by the University of London for support of doctoral studies
- 1998-2001: Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS) - Awarded by the UK Committee of Vice Chancellors and Principals for support of doctoral studies
- 2000: Society of Chemical Industry Messel Fund Bursary - Travel subsidy to the International Symposium on Multi-Phase Flow and Transport Phenomena in Antalya, Turkey
- 1999: Imperial College London Beit Fellowship (declined in lieu of Knight Studentship) – Awarded by Imperial College London in support of doctoral studies
- 1998: Henry Sawistowski Travel Fellowship - Awarded by Imperial College London in recognition of best undergraduate industrial link and research project
Selected Media Releases:
- What a Sound Idea, The Economist, 2 June 2012.
- Delivering Medicines, ABC Catalyst (Special Edition: Little Wonders – Medical Nanotechnology), Television Broadcast date: 25 August 2011 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).
- Microfluidics Streamlines Laboratory Operations, SPIE (International Society for Optical Engineering) Newsroom, 7 December 2010.
- Sound-Blasting Chips for On-the-Spot Forensics, New Scientist, 24 May 2010.
- Jet Stream, Nature Research Highlights 23 July 2009, Nature 460, 439 (2009).
- Squirting Water Without a Gun, Physical Review Focus, 13 July 2009 (American Physical Society).
- Physics of Pizza Tossing for Micro-Motors, Europhysics News, Vol 40, No 4, July-August 2009 (European Physical Society).
- Earthquake on a Wafer Could Boost Asthma Relief, New Scientist, 28 May 2009.
- Drug Delivery’s a Blast, Chemical Technology, 15 May 2009 (Royal Society of Chemistry).
- If Research is Your Cup of Tea, this Eureka Moment will Stir the Blood, The Age, 16 August 2008.
- Eureka Prize People’s Choice Award, ABC Catalyst, Television Broadcast date: 14 August 2008 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).
- Einstein's Tea Leaves Cause a Stir in Medical Circles, ABC Catalyst, Television Broadcast: 19 July 2007 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).
- Am I Really Sick?, Fast Th!nking, Spring 2007.
- Stirring Things Apart, The Economist, 20 January 2007.
- Einstein's Tea Leaves Inspire Gadget, Discovery Channel News, 19 January 2007.
- Taking Blood Cells for a Spin, ScienceNOW, Science Magazine Daily News, 18 January 2007 (American Association for the Advancement of Science).
- Einstein's Tea Leaves Inspire New Gadget, ABC Science Online, 17 January 2007 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).
- Unique Blood Testing Method Developed, The Washington Times, 16 January 2007.
- Einstein's Tea Leaves Inspire New Blood Separation Technique, Physics News Update #808, No 1, 12 January 2007 (American Institute of Physics).
- On-The-Spot Blood Tests, ScienceAlert Australia & New Zealand, 13 November 2006.
Personal Website: http://users.monash.edu.au/~lyeo